Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, April 8, 2018

Obscurity, Hiddeness, Humility and Human-ness

There is an interesting flow of thought this morning. I was thinking about my relative insignificance in the Kingdom of God (not in a poor little me attitude, but more in the sense of hiddeness).  As I was reviewing my blog entries I noticed one that had come up when someone searched for "Does God Understand our Struggles?". It linked them to my Blog entry - (http://amomentwithgod-srh.blogspot.com/2014/06/jesus-understands-our-struggles.html)

I read that entry and then was looking in the list of entries from that month and there was an entry titled "Jesus of Nazareth (Its Important)" - ( http://amomentwithgod-srh.blogspot.com/2014/06/jesus-of-nazareth-its-important.html) and I read that entry.  It was all about Jesus' humanity, and His emptying Himself to become like us (which was a similar theme to the one on God understanding our struggles).   Then I felt like the Lord directed me to begin reading from John 7, and in this chapter there are several related themes.

First, Jesus specifically does not go up to the Festival even though His brothers encourage Him to go up to the Festival saying, "No one who wants to become a public figure acts in secret. Since you are doing these things, show yourself to the world.”(John 7:4 NIV).  Jesus wasn't looking for that public recognition, nor trying to increase it.  He was just being obedient to the Father.

Later when He goes up to the Festival and starts teaching the people are amazed at His teaching, knowing that He was not trained.  The people apparently knew enough about Him to realize that He was from Galilee, and not a trained Rabbi. John describes this in verse John 7:15 NIV: "The Jews there were amazed and asked, “How did this man get such learning without having been taught?”

Finally, it was specifically because the people knew where Jesus came from, Nazareth in Galilee, that they didn't think He was the Messiah.  John records this in a couple of verses.  Here is the first mention -

John 7:25-27 NIV: "At that point some of the people of Jerusalem began to ask, “Isn't this the man they are trying to kill? [26] Here he is, speaking publicly, and they are not saying a word to him. Have the authorities really concluded that he is the Messiah? [27] But we know where this man is from; when the Messiah comes, no one will know where he is from.”

And again -

John 7:40-42 NIV: "On hearing his words, some of the people said, “Surely this man is the Prophet.” [41] Others said, “He is the Messiah.” Still others asked, “How can the Messiah come from Galilee? [42] Does not Scripture say that the Messiah will come from David's descendants and from Bethlehem, the town where David lived?”

Thus, the very thing that Jesus embraced fully in becoming fully man (Phil 2:6-8) was a hindrance to people's belief that He was the Messiah.  In this chapter in John, Jesus clearly indicates that He came from the Father in heaven (John 7: 16, 28-29), and many people thought He was the Messiah. Yet, because people knew where He came from, many were convinced that He couldn't be the Messiah. Thus, the quiet life of a carpenter, His very limited life prior to His public ministry was a stumbling block for many.  The very thing that was required to fulfill God's plan was a problem for many He desired to save.

This is one of the reasons it takes faith to believe in Him.  It just doesn't make human sense that God would come and become like us and allow Himself to be beaten, and crucified.  We wouldn't have a hard time believing He was God if He came in His divinity, in His awesome power and authority as the son of God, riding on the clouds and shining so the whole world could see Him.  We would be convinced immediately.  Instead, He came as a man, from a small town in the backwoods area, was a carpenter and hidden from public view for 30 years.

However, Jesus didn't worry about the confusion or disagreements all this caused, and even spoke to them, probably even causing more confusion, for His answers required some level of faith to understand (as described above).   Jesus seemed unaffected by all the controversy and continued on speaking and teaching, knowing that His purpose was to do exactly that.

So, this morning I am encouraged to pursue God's path for me, not worrying about recognition, or notice or public platform. Rather, I am happy to embrace the life of hiddeness and relative obscurity as God's plan and purpose for this time in my life.  I am grateful that Jesus understands my situation exactly, and that in spite of all  the years of quiet service and obedience, He was able to accomplish all the Father had for Him to do.  God is just as capable today as He was and always will be!  The Holy Spirit lives in me, and He worked mightily through Jesus, and through many down through the ages, and is capable to work through me too.

Thank You Lord for Your gentle encouragement and enlightenment!

No comments:

Post a Comment