Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

A Healthy Alternative to Angry Speech

This morning I am reflecting on a collection of verses from James 3:1-2,6,9-10,13,17-18 NIV:

[1] "Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. [2] We all stumble in many ways. Anyone who is never at fault in what they say is perfect, able to keep their whole body in check."

[6] "The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one's life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell."

[9] "With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God's likeness. [10] Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be."

[13] "Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom."

[17] "But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. [18] Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness."

The theme from James in Chapter 3 revolves around our speaking and acting, and heart condition.  I wanted to focus on the role our speech (both spoken and written) in affecting our life.  As I was reading through these verses I was convicted (internally) by my proclivity for critique in my writing.  Rather than focus on the positive, I often times point out the negative of another viewpoint, to strengthen my position, or opinion.  While I rationalize this as helpful perspective, there is certainly a negativeness that is not in line with the ways of the Lord.

Verses one, two and six are the two ends of the spectrum regarding our speech, in verses one and two we see how a positive influence our speech can be,  andin verse six we see how damaging it can be.  James says if we are never at fault in what we say that our whole body is kept in check, but if we speak evil, if can set the course of our whole life, and that is a pretty heavy statement.  In the day of worldwide access and platforms for our opinions, we see many people spewing all sorts of angry, divisive, accusatory, ugly hateful speech!  It seems that most everything these days seems to have taken a negative perspective, and that is my caution this morning.

It is so easy to get caught up in the negative and angry conversations, I find myself easily joining in, thinking similar thoughts, allowing my mind to be filled with that fodder!  This is not how I want to live or the impact I want to have in my life.

James gives a healthy alternative in verses 13, 17 and 18.  He says we should be more concerned with living a good life, full of good deeds.  He says we should be filled with pure, peace-loving, considerate, submissive (The NASB translates this reasonable), merciful, impartial, sincere and peaceful thoughts and actions.  Imagine if these were the type of posts we saw on the internet and how the media presented the 'news'!

I know that I can't change how others think, speak and act, but I can change the way I respond, think and act!  That is my goal and encouragement this morning, to endeavour to be full of purity, peace-loving, considerate, reasonable, merciful, impartial, sincere and peaceful thoughts and actions.  I want to produce good fruit in and through my life.  I want to have my tongue, my thoughts and my actions to be consistent whether in church, at home, work or in public!  It is my choice to make.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment