Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Rejoice Always - Understanding and Attitude

I was reading from Paul's letter to the Philippians again this morning, and saw his encouragement in chapter 4, in light of my reflection yesterday concerning pressing into faith in action, even in the midst of the unknown.  Here are the verses for my reflection this morning - Philippians 4:4-7 NIV:

[4] "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! [5] Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. [6] Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. [7] And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

I was struck immediately by the encouragement to rejoice always, which is so important Paul says it twice!  The Greek word is 'Chairo' and it means exactly that - to rejoice, to be glad, to welcome gladly, to rejoice exceedingly.  It is interesting in both the Greek and Hebrew the words that are translated rejoice are considered primitive roots (verbs) which means they are the root word, they stand alone in meaning, and are not derived from some other word.  In other words, rejoicing is something of a core expression, a fundamental expression of our will and emotion.  You can choose to rejoice, it can also erupt from our primal self.  Sometimes we can think to equate rejoicing with feeling happy, or feeling joy, and while related, it is more fundamental.

I believe that rejoicing is about a base attitude, and Paul seems to echo that here.  He encourages us to rejoice always (some translations say 'every circumstance') and he means always.  Regardless of the situation before us, regardless of what the new day might bring, He encourages us to rejoice.  Going back to the meaning of the Greek word, it can also mean your greeting or salutation, or how you greet someone.  I know there are many videos on Youtube showing people reunited with loved ones, and their joy and response warms our hearts, and shows us rejoicing as it erupts out of them.  I love seeing those videos!  The other side of rejoicing that we are sometimes able to see are those people that get up every day and face tremendous difficulty, illness or dark circumstances with a positive attitude.  This would also be considered rejoicing and I think this is right at the core of Paul's encouragement - to rejoice always!

Paul continues on and speaks of gentleness in the place of rejoicing always.  That doesn't really seem to fit together as the next logical statement in the line of thought that begins with rejoicing always.  Again we are limited by the English translation and our thoughts about a specific word.  The Greek word is Epieikes and it is translated 1) seemingly, suitable 2) equitable, fair, mild, gentle.  I think of gentleness as related to treating something with softness, but the term used to be related to a much broader scope - for the definition of gentle is as follows (Websters Dictionary):

1 a : belonging to a family of high social station
b archaic : chivalrous
c : honorable, distinguished; specifically : of or relating to a gentleman
d : kind, amiable — used especially in address as a complimentary epithet  
e : suited to a person of high social station
2 a : tractable, docile
b : free from harshness, sternness, or violence
3 : soft, delicate
4 : moderate

I would normally settle for definition 3 - when I read something like this.  However, based on the original Greek, I think Paul likely had something more like the first couple of definitions in mind.  Going back to the definition of the Greek word, we find seemingly, suitable, equitable, fair and mild as possible alternative definitions.  If we think of a response of a Prince or Princess, one who understands their responsibility and authority, who despite a difficult situation, responds with a positive and uplifting attitude, then I think we are close to what Paul is encouraging here.  We are those sons and daughters of a King, so we should be taking that same approach!

Once I look at those first few verses together with this definition, the remaining parts of this section make more sense.  First - the Lord is near!  In other words, our Dad, our Father in Heaven, the Holy Spirit and even Jesus are present to us (even in us).  Secondly, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."  Rather than responding out of fear, instead explain the situation to your Father, remembering who you are, and being grateful for your relationship with such a loving, caring and faithful Father.

Next, as we settle in our mind and heart who we are, and whose we are, the Peace of God, who is all powerful and all knowing, who is not surprised, and who has a perfect plan, will guard our hearts and minds.  His peace passes all our human understanding, because we cannot possibly understand His view, but suffice it to say that God is NEVER worried or fearful.  He wants us to press back into Him, to allow His peace to settle over us.  This is like the child who when confronted by something unknown or fearful tucks their head or even body into the folds of the mothers skirt, or behind their father's legs.  The image that pops into my mind is that of a child who is confronted with a difficult situation, but the Father standing at their back leans forward and whispers, "you can do it, I believe in you, and I will help you if you need me too!"

Amen!  That is encouraging to me today!  I will rejoice always, and I will remember who I am and whose I am!  I will work to allow this attitude to be evident in all I do!  I will rest in the confidence that my Heavenly Father has my back and believes in me!

No comments:

Post a Comment