Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, September 9, 2018

Choosing to Pursue Training in Godliness


This morning I felt led to reflect on 1 Tim 4:7, and am including the verses preceding that verse for context.

1 Timothy 4:1-10 NIV:

[1] "The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. [2] Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. [3] They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. [4] For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, [5] because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer."

[6] "If you point these things out to the brothers and sisters, you will be a good minister of Christ Jesus, nourished on the truths of the faith and of the good teaching that you have followed. [7] Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives' tales; rather, train yourself to be godly. [8] For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. [9] This is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance. [10] That is why we labor and strive, because we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all people, and especially of those who believe."

Immediately upon reading verse 7, speaking about training myself to be godly, I saw how in areas of my life I wasn't taking seriously the call to train myself to be godly.  I think it is safe to say that I like comfort, and like to do things I prefer.  As I was thinking about this I was reminded of the time I was studying for my masters degree, while working and helping raise our two children.  During those 2 1/2 years, I learned how to train myself, for most every evening required me to study, write or read for a few hours.  I learned that I needed to be disciplined in my approach, saying no to myself, to things I wanted to do, and choosing to do things that would increase my knowledge or experience as required.  As I was reflecting on that, I realised I haven't applied that same rigor or focus to growing in godliness.

As I thought about this, I was reminded of the following scripture - Philippians 3:17-19 NIV:

[17] "Join together in following my example, brothers and sisters, and just as you have us as a model, keep your eyes on those who live as we do. [18] For, as I have often told you before and now tell you again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. [19] Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is set on earthly things."

As I was thinking about this, I felt it was right to replace the word "stomach" with appetites.  In my case it would be my appetite for comfort and my own leisure.  If I am given a chunk of time in my evening, rather than pursue training in godliness, I will often do something that I want to do, based on how I am feeling, like a hobby or relaxing, maybe watch a movie, etc. I might think about reading a book or watching a teaching that will move me forward in godliness, but usually I choose something else.

Going out on limb, I would say that one of the gods we in Western church, and specifically here in America, worship is the god of comfort.  We have comfort food, we have comfortable clothes, and comfortable chairs and couches, comfortable homes and cars and invest in things that make our lives more comfortable.  We relish our 'me' time, which is when we are able to get comfortable and do what we want to do.  We have man-caves and she-caves and all sorts of things dedicated to us, to what we want to do.  Having time and places to recharge, refocus and replenish is not a bad thing, but just like in the military, R & R is for a time, and then we should be ready to get back into the battle.

I am preaching to myself here, for God knows my heart and mind and all the things I think about, all the things I do and pursue that aren't focused on Him.  I constantly choose things that are not focused on the Lord, nor growing in Him, or in the gifts He has given me!  I have been in a long season of self-imposed R & R, and this morning I felt encouraged to step into a new season of focus and training.

The Greek word that was translated above as 'stomach' is the word Koilia, and it is derived from the root word Koilos, which means hollow. The NASB does translate this word appetites (so my "gut" feeling about the meaning of the word was correct), and the Greek word is commonly translated stomach, bowel and even womb.  The final definition listed in my Greek dictionary is as follows: "the innermost part of a man, the soul, heart as the seat of thought, feeling, choice", and I think that seems to be what Paul is describing here. Isn't that interesting the "seat of thought, feeling and choice", and that is pretty much exactly what I wrote concerning my typical evening free.  I think about what I should do, figure out what I feel like and then choose to do that, and almost always the focus is on me!  Yikes!!!

My operative definition of worship is to run to and embrace.  Normally this is what I think about when we enter into a time of worship at church, running to the Lord and embracing Him like a son embracing his father.  In the same way, when I finish work, my thought is often that I want to get comfortable and do what I want to do.  I look so forward to that time, that I could run (except that I am already at home, usually).  As I reflect on these words from Paul this morning I have realized that I am indeed worshipping the god of comfort.  Oh Lord, please forgive me!  I want no other God but You in my life!

I am so encouraged that You care enough for me Lord to point this out!  I know if You are pointing this out that You have a plan and purpose, and the provisions required for me to be successful in pursuing You in this way!  Help me Lord!  I know this is not about a bunch of rules, or a works mentality, but rather is about directing my focus and desires on You rather than the pursuit of comfort!  I know it will require focus, determination, effort and work, but just like with my masters degree program, it will be well worth the investment.  Lord, I pray for a refreshing outpouring of grace in my life to help me get past my proclivity for comfort and my selfish focus!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment