Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, September 16, 2018

The Bread of Life - Let Us Not Be Offended

This morning I am reflecting on some verses from the sixth chapter of John.  I was reading through it this morning, and was struck by the way the chapter begins and ends, and this morning I saw a connection there, that I had not seen before.  Being the inquisitive sort, I decided to dig into it all.

Here are a few verses setting the original context - the Feeding of the 5000 - John 6:8-13 NIV:

[8] "Another of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter's brother, spoke up, [9] “Here is a boy with five small barley loaves and two small fish, but how far will they go among so many?”

[10] Jesus said, “Have the people sit down.” There was plenty of grass in that place, and they sat down (about five thousand men were there). [11] Jesus then took the loaves, gave thanks, and distributed to those who were seated as much as they wanted. He did the same with the fish.

[12] When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.” [13] So they gathered them and filled twelve baskets with the pieces of the five barley loaves left over by those who had eaten."

In John's Gospel, we find Jesus' next discourse being closely related as He speaks of being the Bread of Life.  We know based on verse 66 that this discourse on the being the Bread of Life caused many to stop following Him.  Jesus even asks His disciples if this offended them, and asked if they too were going to leave - so it was a major issue.

Here is an excerpt from His teaching on being the bread of Life - John 6:35,53-59 NIV:

[35] "Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty."

[53] "Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. [54] Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. [55] For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. [56] Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. [57] Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. [58] This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.” [59] He said this while teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum."

I was reading these verses this morning and was thinking about the Father leading Jesus, telling Him what to say, and Jesus following His lead perfectly.  I was also aware that Jesus definitely knew how His words would be received.  He knew this discourse, as it went further and further was going to be a stumbling block. John adds the following notes - John 6:60-61 NIV:

[60] "On hearing it, many of his disciples said, “This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?”

[61] Aware that his disciples were grumbling about this, Jesus said to them, “Does this offend you?"

The original Greek word that was translated offend in verse 61 is the word 'skandalizo' and this can be translated stumbling block or offense.. Jesus knew that this talk of His flesh being real food and His blood being real drink would be offensive, and very confusing to many.  In fact this s one of the points of disagreement we find yet today amongst churches (Catholic and Protestant at least).  The Catholics believe in something called transubstantiation, and the Protestant church does not.  I am sure this is no surprise to Jesus, as HE saw how this affected those who followed him while here on the earth.

So my thought this morning, in brief,  is that I find it interesting that Jesus demonstrates His ability to multiply real bread, to feed the masses, and yet, we quibble over the meaning of His words found in verses 53 - 59. For me it always made sense that if God wanted to change bread and wine into His own blood, that He could do that because He is God after all.  Having grown up Catholic, I only really understand their side of the disagreement, but it saddens me that this teaching and belief has caused a rift in the Body of Christ.  I am sure, Jesus probably had a few long conversations with the Father over this, while He was still in His purely Human nature here on earth.

I was reading some of the history around this disagreement and at one point in history, in England, if you believed in transubstantiation, you couldn't hold public office.  Suffice it to say that this single teaching has caused considerable pain and many arguments in the Church, and it seems to me that we get so caught up in the definition of the words and phrases, that we miss the fundamental truth here - God desires that our hunger for Him be satisfied.  He can and did create real food, multiplying a few loaves and fish to feed 5000 men!  He desires that our hunger be sated, and by Him who gives us eternal life - Jesus!  So whether we believe in transubstantiation or not, doing this in His memory, or believing that He is actually present in the bread and wine, the truth is that God loves us and wants to be with us.  He wants to give us eternal life and that life is found in Jesus. John makes this quite clear in his first letter - 1 John 5:11-12 NIV: "And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. [12] Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life."

Thus, my prayer is that we lay down our differences and welcome those that believe slightly different then we do.  Let us refuse to be offended by those who take His words literally, and those that cannot.  Let us love one another and let us embrace each other as we follow the one who is the source of Life.  As Peter says in reply to Jesus' question in verse 61 (quoted above) - John 6:68-69 NIV:  "Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. [69] We have come to believe and to know that you are the Holy One of God.”

Jesus said it clear enough, "I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty."  (John 6:35 NIV)

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment