Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Hope In Our Failures and Failed Commitments


This morning I am continuing my Holy Week reflections, looking at things that occurred that week before Jesus' death and Resurrection.  This morning I am reflecting on a few verses from Matthew 26:31-35 NIV:

[31] "Then Jesus told them, “This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written: “ 'I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.' [32] But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.”

[33] Peter replied, “Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will.”

[34] “Truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “this very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times.”

[35] But Peter declared, “Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you.” And all the other disciples said the same."


I was reading through Matthew's Gospel, and these verses just grabbed my attention, not for the awesome spiritual value, but rather because of the realness and humanity of the interaction.  Jesus is prophetically describing to them what will happen, even speaking about His rising from the dead, but the Apostles, all seem to miss that and focus instead on His calling out their weakness.

I know if anyone criticizes me, I have a hard time listening to anything else they are saying as I am instantly in defensive mode, trying to show that they are wrong in their critique.  Its not one of my better attributes.  We see that is exactly how Peter and the rest respond.  They totally miss Jesus' comment about going ahead of them to Galilee after He is risen, and are instead still focused on His statement about them falling away.  Peter even has the audacity to step in front of His brother and the other Apostles and claim that even if they fail, he will never!  Yikes!  Talk about pride rising up! 

This reminds me of all the times I have committed to the Lord something, doing better in some area, or doing something great for Him, and then through my own weakness or lack of follow-through, failing in my commitment.  Obviously this situation that the Apostles will soon find themselves in is much more intense than pretty much anything I will ever see, but the failed commitments and sense of shame that follows is no less. 

I love how the Lord, after speaking to their failure, immediately speaks of their continuing in ministry with Him (meeting in Galilee). I am so glad that even though the Lord knows my weaknesses, my failures and and my proclivity to sin, He still always has plans and purpose for me, calling me forward into the next opportunity.  Where we would disqualify ourselves, He will never disqualify us! 

My two final thoughts on this situation are first, that the Apostles didn't have the Holy Spirit yet, and from the church records, once filled with Him, they never abandoned Jesus again.  Secondly, the Lord in His mercy and compassion completely restored the Apostles and Peter, as recorded in John 21.  Jesus didn't just act like nothing happened, but instead took time specifically to restore Peter, who in his pride had boasted that he would die before he ever abandoned Jesus.  He will never leave us hanging onto our fears and doubts, concerning our qualification to represent Him.  If we let Him, He will put all of that to rest in our hearts, even as He did for Peter.

What a wonderful Lord He is!

No comments:

Post a Comment