Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Miracles & Healings: Normal Indicators?

Yesterday I was reflecting on some verses from Paul's letter to the Galatians, and when I went to copy it over to my blog, somehow deleted the whole thing...:-(

Oh well, technology is a wonderful blessing, and sometimes frustrating.  I am going to revisit that reflection this morning.  Here are the verses - Galatians 3:1-5 NIV:

[1] "You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified. [2] I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard? [3] Are you so foolish? After beginning by means of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish by means of the flesh? [4] Have you experienced so much in vain---if it really was in vain? [5] So again I ask, does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you by the works of the law, or by your believing what you heard?"

Paul was clearly perturbed with the Galatians as they were believing some visitors that they must also embrace the works of the Law in addition to believing in Christ Jesus.  This was in direct contrast to the Gospel of Grace, and Paul confronts them front and center.  While I could spend some time looking at that works mentality, I am going to spend my time looking at the verse that caught my attention, namely verse five.

What caught my eye was Paul's use of the fact that God was working miracles in their midst as a reminder of the Gospel of Grace.  I was thinking how many churches in our day would not be able to relate to that statement, because we don't see many miracles, or maybe even don't believe in miracles.  Many churches do not use the fact that they are seeing miracles, as their calling card, at least that is true here in America.

The interesting thing is that Miracles are as prevalent today as they ever were, and yet somehow, we in the Western church are largely unaware.  I read an awesome book recently, "Miracles: The Credibility of the New Testament Accounts" by Craig S. Keener.  It is an amazing look at both the New Testament and today, and the prevalence of miracles through out the history of the church.  He takes a very scholarly approach (He is a professor) and has thousands of footnotes and descriptions of countless miracles and healings.

In one of the chapters, he summarizes a 2006 study of 10 Countries (US, and 3 countries from each of the following regions:  Asia, Africa and South America) as follows:

"For these countries alone, and for Pentecostals and charismatics in these countries alone, the estimated total of people claiming to have “witnessed divine healings” comes out to somewhere around 202,141,082, that is, about two hundred million. Among Pentecostals, an average of 73.6 percent claim to have witnessed or experienced divine healing, and among charismatics the proportion is 52 percent; given estimates of possibly half a billion Pentecostals and charismatics worldwide, we might be looking at claims of closer to three hundred million among them alone.[ 154]"

Think about that, in 10 countries alone, there could be as many as 200 Million healings and miracles!  That is an incredible number, and that is just from two stream in the church, the Pentecostal and Charismatics!

Why am I thinking about this issue today?  I believe that healings and miracles are foundational to the Gospel.  They demonstrate God's presence active on the earth.  They represent God touching people's lives in real ways!  Jesus, when He was sending out the Apostles for the first "Apostolic tour" gave them the following charge, found in Matthew 10:7-8 NIV: "As you go, proclaim this message: 'The kingdom of heaven has come near.' [8] Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give."

The Gospel of Grace, is all about relationship, all about individual lives being changed, lives and families affected positively by God.  Jesus came proclaiming the Kingdom of God, which represents a paradigm shift of individual relationship with God and God's dominion being reestablished over our lives.  The proof of this Kingdom reality is seen in the demonstrations of healing, deliverance, cleansing of diseases and raising individuals from the dead.  That is exactly what Jesus told the Apostles to preach and demonstrate.

As I am once again confronted by the words of Paul, pointing to the healing and miracles they were seeing in Galatia, my heart is stirred to press into our inheritance as a part of the Body of Christ, for we are responsible to represent the ministry of Jesus to the world around us.  I am encouraged to press into the Lord, looking for and believing in the active demonstration of the Kingdom of God in our midst!  I am encouraged that being Christian is much more than being nice to my neighbors and those I meet, it involves representing the Kingdom of God active and alive.  I am encouraged to believe that we can see an increase in healings and miracles even in our midst!  I am encouraged that one day soon, the Church worldwide will once more be known as a place of healings and miracles!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment