Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Post Resurrection Reflection

This morning I am reflecting on some verses that occurred shortly after Jesus' Resurrection, found in Luke's Gospel.  I like the humanness of the encounters.  Here are the verses - Luke 24:36-49 NIV:

[36] "While they were still talking about this (Jesus appearing to the two on the road to Emmaus), Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.”

[37] "They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost. [38] He said to them, “Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? [39] Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.”

[40] "When he had said this, he showed them his hands and feet. [41] And while they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement, he asked them, “Do you have anything here to eat?” [42] They gave him a piece of broiled fish, [43] and he took it and ate it in their presence."

[44] "He said to them, “This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.”

[45] "Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. [46] He told them, “This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, [47] and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. [48] You are witnesses of these things. [49] I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high.”

As I read this, I imagine the total panic that probably occurred when Jesus appeared in their midst!  Other Gospel writers note that the room was locked, and His disciples were essentially hiding.  It would definitely be unsettling to have someone suddenly appear in your midst!  Fear, shock and then joy and amazement were probably all mixed together in a very chaotic scene!  It is no wonder Jesus began with "Peace be with you!"

He then proved His identity by showing them His hands and feet, and while they were still afraid, He finally took some fish and ate it to prove that He was really there, alive and real, flesh and bones.  I find it interesting and quite believable that the disciples had a hard time believing that He was really there.  Their whole world had collapsed at His death, and some had witnessed His passion, His beating, His hanging on the cross, and even His death.  That is not something that one easily lets go of, or disbelieves.  They had witnessed the raising of Lazarus from the dead, but Jesus had done that and Jesus had died.  It was Him and His authority that had always been their source of authority and power, and without Him they likely thought they had none!

Jesus has great mercy on them, and begins to open their minds to the things He had already told them, but which they didn't understand at the time He said it. I can imagine it was very encouraging and at the same time very humbling to have the Lord walk back over all the things they should have learned the first time.  I am so encouraged that the Lord doesn't only give us one time to learn what He is teaching us. Jesus apparently reviewed with them the scriptural basis for all that had occurred, and then summarized the Gospel they were to preach, repentance and/for the forgiveness of sins in His name.  The purpose of this all as described earlier by Jesus, was that we might be restored to right relationship with the Father (e.g John 17).

Finally, Jesus tells them that He is going to send the Holy Spirit, and that He would empower them with power from on high.  I like that description, "power from on high".  The Greek is hupsos dunamis or heavenly power.   Clearly this is not power that originates here on earth, or is found in man, of his own effort.  This is power that originates in Heaven, and is poured upon and into His believers.  We see a great description of what Jesus was describing when Peter was preaching to gentiles - found in Acts 10:44-45 NIV: "While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. [45] The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles."  This power from on high was evident and powerful to bring change!

Oh Lord, we pray for a greater outpouring in our own lives, in our churches to enable us to fulfill this mission to bring Your Gospel to all nations!  Let us not be afraid! Open our minds to Your scriptures, instruct us in Your ways, give us power from on high to enable us to accomplish all that You have purposed us to do!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment