Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, April 1, 2019

Releasing the Torrent


This morning I am reflecting on some of Paul's writings from his letter to the Church in Ephesus.  Paul does such a great job of expanding our thinking around the Church and God's plans and desires for us.  The following verses are some of my favorites, in the call to think bigger - Ephesians 3:14-21 NIV:

[14] "For this reason I kneel before the Father, [15] from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. [16] I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, [17] so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, [18] may have power, together with all the Lord's holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, [19] and to know this love that surpasses knowledge---that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God."

[20] "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, [21] to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."

The first line is Paul talking about how he prays these next verses for the church, and so should we!  What a great prayer for our local congregations, and for the church at large! 

As I read these verses through in total, the sense I get is that there is SO MUCH MORE than what we are presently experiencing!  Notice the foundation, the root of all is love!  It is Love that should be our founding principle, Love for God and Love for each other!  If we aren't rooted and established in love, then we are going to be producing the wrong fruit.  Please note that God's love for us is what motivates all of this in the first place (See John 3:16-17).

Secondly, this Love is far greater than we can grasp.  Paul's specific prayer is that we might have the power to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is Christ's love, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge.  That is such an interesting statement, we don't usually think we need power to know something, we need intelligence and the ability to understand. 

As I was thinking about this, I had the image of trying to control a fire-hose pop into my mind.  I don't know if you have ever tried to hold a proper fire-hose, attached to a fire hydrant, but there is real power in that flow of water.  It takes power to control and direct this flow of water.  I used to work on my college's grounds crew and we used to flood our hockey rink (I lived in MN) with a fire hose.  The first time I tried to control the fire-hose, it flung me all over the place.  I have attached a picture showing two firemen working to control one hose, and that is highly recommended.

As I imagine God's love being unleashed in its full capacity, I imagine that would be like a mighty river, not just a hose.  We would need power to be able to stand or swim within it.  We would need power to be able to direct it, for that is one of the roles of the Church.  We are now the Body of Christ on earth, continuing His ministry of Love, directing it and letting it pour forth out of us.  We are supposed to have rivers of living water pouring forth from us (John 7:38).  Imagine a river of God's love rushing out of your heart!  That is what I am seeing this morning!  We are meant to release a torrent of God's love that washes over all those we meet, cleansing and bringing healing and eternal life.

Oh Lord, we pray that You would do more than all we ask or even imagine, according to Your power which is at work in us!  Yes Lord!  Release the torrents of Your LOVE!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment