Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, January 2, 2021

Replying With Gentleness and Respect

This morning I felt led to read from 1 Peter chapter three, and came across the following verses that seemed to resonate with me - 1 Peter 3:13-16 NIV:

[13] "Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? [14] But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. “Do not fear their threats ; do not be frightened.” [15] But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, [16] keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander."

My Bible has a reference of Isaiah 8:11 for the the end of verse 14, where it is translated "Do not be frightened".  I decided to follow that reference and included a bit more, as it is helpful and timely.

Isaiah 8:11-13 NIV:

[11] "This is what the Lord says to me with his strong hand upon me, warning me not to follow the way of this people: 

[12] “Do not call conspiracy everything this people calls a conspiracy; do not fear what they fear, and do not dread it. 

[13] The Lord Almighty is the one you are to regard as holy, he is the one you are to fear, he is the one you are to dread.

I am reflecting this morning on these two related passages and it seems they are timely, at least for me.  It is so tempting these days to give our minds and hearts, all of our attention to the many conspiracies that are all around us.  We can become so caught up in them and allow our thoughts and conversation to become focused on these things, and apparently that is nothing new to the Lord.  He encourages Isaiah, with a strong hand, to not follow this trend, this flow of thought, to not bear witness to it, as it could apparently become something of an idol.  The Lord points Isaiah back, telling him to turn his heart towards the Lord, recognizing that He is the one who should be worshipped, adored, and held in awe.  

Peter adds to this the encouragement to be prepared to provide an answer, when questioned about having hope. and to do so gently and with respect. Oh, that we would learn to treat all people who think differently than us, with gentleness and respect.  It is so easy to treat  those who think differently with distrust and belief that they are somehow an enemy.  Peter is encouraging us to treat them with gentleness and respect, and maintaining a clear conscience, which I believe has to do with the one command of Jesus to love one another as He loved us (referencing our good behavior in Christ).  

So this morning, I am encouraged to guard my heart and mind, to make sure that I am spending more time thinking about the Lord, embracing His word and command to love than I am any other line of thought!  I am encouraged to make sure that I always speak respectfully of those who think differently, engaging them gently and in kindness.  

Oh Lord, help us all to walk back from the division and judgment that seems to be taking over our land!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment