Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, January 14, 2021

The Depth of the Riches Of God's Wisdom

This morning I am reflecting on a few verses from Paul's letter to the Romans.  Paul, in looking at the mysteries of God is expressing his absolute inability to fully comprehend everything that God is about in his life and in the world, which seems like a fitting reflection, or recognition.

Here are the verses - Romans 11:32-36 NIV:

[32] "For God has bound everyone over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all."

[33] "Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!
[34] “Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor?”
[35] “Who has ever given to God, that God should repay them?”
[36] For from him and through him and for him are all things. To him be the glory forever! Amen."

I started my reflection on verse 32, which in an of itself, is a deep mystery.  I started by looking at several study aids to gain a better understanding, and quickly realized the meaning of these few verses is exactly what Paul is describing here.  God's wisdom is beyond the depth of human wisdom, knowledge and understanding!  We could study these verses, or even just verse 32 and never come to an end of the depth of that simple sentence. 

Here are a couple of links, in order of simple to complex,  to some of the resources I was referencing:

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary - https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/eng/mhn/romans-11.html

Adam Clarke's Commentary - https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/eng/acc/romans-11.html

Heinrich Meyer's Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament - https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/eng/hmc/romans-11.html

I was specifically just looking at the comments on verse 32 from above and was amazed at the amount of commentary was provided.  I was previously familiar with Matthew Henry's and Adam Clarke's commentaries, but what really blew my mind was Heinrich Meyer's coverage of just this one verse.  He is footnoting tons of other authors, providing his detailed analysis, looking at other's thoughts, etc.   His coverage was extensive, and the meanings of the original language is discussed with several different authors cited for each particular opinion.  I was overwhelmed by just the amount of human study, human expertise and human knowledge that has been applied to just a single  verse, and I realized that Paul is EXACTLY correct.

"Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!"

This morning, rather than being overwhelmed, I am actually comforted by the depth of God's thoughts, recognizing that He is operating on a completely different level than even the greatest human minds can achieve.  He is beyond knowing, yet invites us to know Him!  His ways are unsearchable, and yet HE reveals His ways to us constantly.

God is so far above the fray that He has the complete picture!  He knows every man's thoughts, and can see clearly the proper path.  If we look to Him, rather than at the present circumstances, we are brought to a place of peace and rest, for we recognize that our knowledge is insufficient, but He understands all, and is in complete control.

Amen!  Come Quickly Lord and Help us!

No comments:

Post a Comment