Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, January 23, 2021

Rid Ourselves of These...

Today I was reflecting on a conversation I had last evening with some good friends.  We were talking about some of theories and prophecies that have been embraced by some members of the Body of Christ, here in America, during these most recent days leading up to the inauguration of President Biden.  As I was thinking that over, I was asking the Lord for some perspective, and felt led to read from 1 Peter 2, which seems to be a very helpful test.  Here are the verses - 1 Peter 2:1-3 NIV:

[1] "Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. [2] Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, [3] now that you have tasted that the Lord is good."

Peter is writing, "To God’s elect, exiles scattered throughout the provinces of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia." ( 1 Peter 1:1 NIV).  These verses from the beginning of chapter 2 are directed to all of us, and we would be good to examine our hearts, our words and actions of late.  Peter is not making a distinction that these actions are being directed to any group in particular, but are rather actions that in general should not been found in the Body of Christ.

Looking at the original Greek we find the following:

Kakia is translated malice.  It is defined as malignity, malice, ill-will, desire to injure.

Dolos is translated deceit.  It is defined as craft, deceit, guile and originally pertained to trapping or ensnaring an animal.

Hypokrisis is translated hypocrisy.  It can be defined as (an extension of an actor in a play) implying arrogance and hardness of heart, utterly devoid of sincerity and genuineness

Phthonos is translated envy.  It can be defined as ill will (as detraction), that is, jealousy (spite): - envy

Katalalia is translated slander.  It can be defined as  defamation: - backbiting, evil speaking.

So if we apply these definitions and look at our words, thoughts and actions towards those that have a different political opinion than ourselves, do we see our thoughts and actions represented by Peter's list of things we need to get rid of from our lives??  I know I have been working hard to maintain a balanced approach and understanding, and certainly see in this list a representation of some of my thinking.  

Have I wanted the other side to fail?  Wanted someone to be destroyed politically?  Desired to see someone prosecuted for the their wrongs?

Have I participated in the spreading of secret knowledge, or believed rumors and false accusations?

Have I been been judgmental to those I label as stupid, ignorant or hateful, bigoted or utterly foolish?  Am I so convinced of my correctness that I am arrogant towards anyone who has a different opinion?

Have I been angry about the success of others?  Have I been frustrated even spiteful towards those with opposing views?

Have I been attacking anyone through my words?  Have I spoke evil of anyone, any group, even those with whom I disagree?


Again, Peter is not speaking of just between fellow Christians, but towards anyone.  I am sad to say that in the church, even in my own church, that there is such strife, we see brothers and sisters attacking each other over different beliefs, different prophesies, different interpretations of recent events!  Oh Lord, forgive us!  Forgive me for any of the times I have crossed the line into these actions that Peter lists.   

I think it is interesting that Peter then says to become like newborn babies, and crave pure spiritual milk.  In other words, we might think we are operating in maturity, but we are mistaken and need to go back to the very basics.  We need to learn to love one another (John 13:38), to pray for those who are against us, to love even those who are our enemies (Matt 5:43-48) We need to once again remind ourselves that we were sinners and the only reason we have received salvation is that Jesus paid the price for our sins.  It was not our right living, or right judgments that allowed us to step into relationship with the Lord, it was Jesus' blood, poured out for us!

In summary, I am encouraged this day to look at my thoughts, words and actions, and make sure to rid myself of any of these that Peter listed.  I am encouraged to treat everyone, whether a fellow believer or not, with love and mercy!  I am encouraged to remind myself of the simple truths of my faith, the pure spiritual milk!  I know the Lord is good, and has awesome plans for us, in His never-ending love.  I am encouraged to be sure that my thoughts, words and actions are aligned with the Lord!

Lord help us all to be light in this world!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment