Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, January 16, 2021

Sow What?

This morning I am reflecting on a few passages from James' letter.  I do appreciate his straight forward approach to things that can be over-spiritualized at times.  Here are the verses that were highlighted for me this morning - James 3:9-13,17-18 NIV:

[9] "With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God's likeness. [10] Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. [11] Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? [12] My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water." 

[13] "Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom." 

[17] "But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. [18] Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness."

James spent quite a bit talking about our tongues (speech) and how dangerous it can be.  We are seeing the fruit of that in our nation, and it is a dangerous situation.  James, calls us back to the basics here, but it something that is easily forgotten in the battle for truth and for people's attention, even when we are in alignment with the Word of God.  

Our speech towards all others, who are made in God's likeness, should always be mindful of that fact.  One of the authors I have read recently says its important that we remember that we are all image-bearers of God.  It is so easy to affix labels that allow us to categorize others, which in effect de-humanizes them to an extent, for no individual can be defined perfectly by our common labels of religious, political, sexual orientation, racial or economic classification.  First and foremost, in our minds, should be the fact that all of these labels, are subject to the most important fact that these people are made in God's image, effectively God's children, and our brothers and sisters.  Our speech towards others, should reflect this fact.  

Jesus called us to a pretty radical approach and James is calling us to embrace this practice.  Here is one version of Jesus' encouragement found in Luke 6:27-36 NIV:

[27] “But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, [28] bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. [29] If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. [30] Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. [31] Do to others as you would have them do to you." 

[32] “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. [33] And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. [34] And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. [35] But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. [36] Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful."

Imagine if we lived by these words in our life!  I would expand this to say not just enemies, but anyone who thinks differently than we do, especially these days.  The original Greek word is echthros, which is defined:

1)  hated, odious, hateful

2)  hostile, hating, and opposing another

While I would normally not think this definition appropriate for those with opposing, or other views, in today's polarized society, this seems to be the way we are encouraged to view anyone who thinks differently than us.  Jesus is quite specific in His direction, and I don't believe He was just saying this for dramatic effect. James somewhat refelcts these words in His letter, calling us to live a life-style that is consistent with our beliefs. 

Lastly, James invites us to sow in peace, and reap righteousness.  The question in my mind is sow what?  His whole chapter is mostly on speech and actions, and it is my conjecture that this is what we are sowing!  It is recognized by psychologists that words spoken to us and over us have lasting effect!  I can almost imagine my words going forth as seed that is being sown into the lives of those that hear me.  What will be the fruit that grows from the seeds I am planting?  Wow, that makes me stop and reflect!  The same can be said of our actions, that they are affecting those around us.  Our actions are remembered every bit as much as our words, for they tend to speak louder at times.  

In summary, I am encouraged this morning to be very cognizant of the fact that my words and my actions are impactful. I need to treat and speak to those around me as fellow image-bearers of God, whether they believe, think or act like I do. I need to think of my words and actions as sowing seeds.  May my life and words bear the fruit of righteousness.

Amen and Amen! 


No comments:

Post a Comment