Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, February 12, 2021

Encouragement From The Life of David

This morning I was reading from 1 Chronicles 11, and in that chapter David solidifies His Kingship over Israel, and later captures what becomes Jerusalem, and establishes it as his city.  Reading through that got me thinking about the life of David, from His anointing by Samuel through to his last days, which I recently was reading about as well.  

David, despite being anointed as the future King by Samuel, at an early age (13ish) didn't become King until he was 30 (2 Sam 5:4-5).  Much of his time prior to becoming King, he was fleeing from the madness and jealousy of Saul, who tried to kill him a number of times.  Once he became King, it was another 7 years before He was established in Jerusalem.  Once in Jerusalem he spent about 10 years expanding His kingdom, and growing in wealth and power and then starting from the time he was 45-47, he sinned with Bathsheba, had Uriah killed (who was one of his Mighty men) and then had to deal with Absalom, and related issues for the next 15 or so years, even vacating Jerusalem under threat of death from his son.  After Absalom was killed  (David was about 62) there was the rebellion of Sheba for another couple of years (2 Sam 20).  Finally the last year of His reign, two of His sons were vying to become King, and there was contention in His family and the nation.  

My reflection is simply that being the anointed of God does not guarantee a lack of difficult times and seasons, in fact it might actually be the opposite.  The anointing of God may actually be for the strengthening of the individual so that in spite of all the battles and distractions one can maintain their faith and relationship to the Lord.  David's life clearly wasn't perfect or strife free.  He did though, in midst of his personal struggles, discover much about God's heart for him. 

At the end of His life, David said the following which is recorded in 2 Samuel 23:2-5 NIV:

[2] “The Spirit of the Lord spoke through me; his word was on my tongue. 

[3] The God of Israel spoke, the Rock of Israel said to me: 

'When one rules over people in righteousness, when he rules in the fear of God, 

[4] he is like the light of morning at sunrise on a cloudless morning, 

like the brightness after rain that brings grass from the earth.'

 [5] “If my house were not right with God, surely he would not have made with me an everlasting covenant, arranged and secured in every part; surely he would not bring to fruition my salvation and grant me my every desire."

He saw the hand of Lord on his life, and didn't abandon hope in his calling or in the word spoken over his life.  In spite of running for his life several times, in dealing with difficulties and battles, personal sin and the like, he held onto his faith and in the end was able to see the great blessing of the Lord.  

I am praying that I would have similar faith and perseverance.  Clearly my life and actions have not been perfect, and in spite of difficulties, none as serious as what David experienced, my goal is to keep on holding on, to keep on pressing into my faith and relationship with the Lord.  I desire to continue to see the Lord's hand on my life, His blessing manifested through me, and His name glorified through me.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment