Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, February 4, 2021

Pastoral Correction and Tickled Ears

This morning I am reflecting on some verses from 2 Corinthians 7:5-13 NASB:

[5] "For even when we came into Macedonia our flesh had no rest, but we were afflicted on every side: conflicts without, fears within. [6] But God, who comforts the depressed, comforted us by the coming of Titus; [7] and not only by his coming, but also by the comfort with which he was comforted in you, as he reported to us your longing, your mourning, your zeal for me; so that I rejoiced even more. [8] For though I caused you sorrow by my letter, I do not regret it; though I did regret it-for I see that that letter caused you sorrow, though only for a while- [9] I now rejoice, not that you were made sorrowful, but that you were made sorrowful to the point of repentance; for you were made sorrowful according to the will of God, so that you might not suffer loss in anything through us. [10] For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation, but the sorrow of the world produces death. [11] For behold what earnestness this very thing, this godly sorrow, has produced in you: what vindication of yourselves, what indignation, what fear, what longing, what zeal, what avenging of wrong! In everything you demonstrated yourselves to be innocent in the matter. [12] So although I wrote to you, it was not for the sake of the offender nor for the sake of the one offended, but that your earnestness on our behalf might be made known to you in the sight of God. [13] For this reason we have been comforted." 

As I read through these verses this morning, I am reminded once again of Paul's straight-forwardness, his love for those churches he interacted with,  and his transparency.  We see Paul's heart on full display, he had sent a difficult letter, one that called out a sin, and he had been worried ever since he sent it, worried that in some way he had caused some in the church in Corinth so much pain that they had walked away from their faith.  

As I was just reflecting on this I saw a picture of a Chiropractor adjusting the  body, which at times can cause pain, ask my wife, but which ultimately is supposed to help the Body function correctly.  Misalignment, in this case in Corinth, was a cause that needed adjustment, or it would cause greater pain and possibly even division later on.  Paul, had issued the correction, but being away and only able to communicate via letter, he was concerned that instead of creating a realignment through repentance, his letter had instead resulted in greater pain.  

I see here, the heart of most of the pastors I know.  Their desire is to provide guidance and direction, teaching and encouragement that their people might see where their lives are out of alignment, and providing a path, through repentance, that enables them to come back into right relationship, or to maybe to come into alignment for the very first time.  What a blessed and difficult role.  Paul's heart is definitely for these people, he worries about them, he prays fr them, he is constantly thinking about them.  Again, this reminds me of the people I know that are pastors, for their hearts are for their people, and they  take on the struggles and concerns of their congregations.  I am sure these pastors have prayed many fervent prayers, praying for changed hearts, restored lives, healing and deliverance. I am also sure that pastors are overjoyed when they see a hunger and thirst for the Word reflected in their congregations, an aligning rightly with the Word, and Paul, on receiving the report from Titus, was overjoyed and relieved.

I think it would be wonderful if we all were hungry for help in coming into alignment with the Word of the Lord, but the truth is that many of us just want to hear, what we want to hear, things we agree with, things that don't require repentance, or changing the way we think and act. Paul writes about this in his letter to  Timothy.  He tells him to  "preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths." (2 Timothy 4:2-4 NASB).  I believe that there are many of us, these days, that prefer to have our ears tickled, rather than receive sound doctrine.  Oh Lord, help us!

Again, just reflecting on some of the recent hullabaloo around the Presidential election and inauguration,  there seems to have been in parts of the church a flow towards some words and prophecies that indicated that there would be a surprising turn-around, and one wonders if this wasn't a bit of the above mentioned tickling of ears?  Were people gathering around those "teachers" who were saying what they wanted to hear?  Were they looking at the proclamations and teachings that were being released and comparing them to the Word, and our doctrine??  I don't honestly know, as I was not engaged in conversations with any, but I am aware of some of the turmoil that was caused, and is still out there, unresolved and with potential to cause further division.  

Oh Lord help us to look to You to gain Your perspective!  Help us to align ourselves with Your Word Lord, to embrace sound doctrine, to not be swept away by fine sounding ideas that tickle our ears.  Help us to respond in love, and for love of You!  Help us to put our relationship with You before all else!

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment