Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, February 27, 2021

Truth, Our Foundation

Recently my focus has been on Truth, and this morning I felt led to read from a couple of John's letters.  It has been quite a while since I last read them, so I was not very cognizant of their theme, but both 2 John and 3 John start out with John writing about the Truth.  Here are some of the verses - 2 John 1:1-6 NASB:

[1] "The elder to the chosen lady and her children, whom I love in truth; and not only I, but also all who know the truth, [2] for the sake of the truth which abides in us and will be with us forever: [3] Grace, mercy and peace will be with us, from God the Father and from Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love." 

[4] "I was very glad to find some of your children walking in truth, just as we have received commandment to do from the Father. [5] Now I ask you, lady, not as though I were writing to you a new commandment, but the one which we have had from the beginning, that we love one another. [6] And this is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, that you should walk in it."

Here are the verses from 3 John 1:1-8 NASB:

[1] "The elder to the beloved Gaius, whom I love in truth. "

[2] "Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers. [3] For I was very glad when brethren came and testified to your truth, that is, how you are walking in truth. [4] I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth. "

[5] Beloved, you are acting faithfully in whatever you accomplish for the brethren, and especially when they are strangers; [6] and they have testified to your love before the church. You will do well to send them on their way in a manner worthy of God. [7] For they went out for the sake of the Name, accepting nothing from the Gentiles. [8] Therefore we ought to support such men, so that we may be fellow workers with the truth."

As I was reading these verses a couple of things were apparent.  First, John was very focused on the truth, on people walking in the truth, believing the truth, witnessing to the truth, and the truth being in us.  He doesn't define the truth here, but it is clear he is speaking of Jesus and His teachings.  At the time John was writing these letters the truth was under attack by several heretic teachers, and John as the last living Apostle was especially vigilant in His defence of the truth.  He wrote these letters in the late 80s A.D. and was combatting Gnosticism, which was a teaching that Jesus was not fully human.  His Gospel and His letters were primarily written to expound this truth! 

Secondly, as I was reading these verses it seemed that John was not just referring to true facts and true faith, but also at times to Jesus and the Holy Spirit.  In his Gospel he writes of Jesus' teaching where Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me." ( John 14:6 NASB).  Understanding that the truth is Jesus is helpful in identifying things and ideas that are out of line with the revelation we have of Him, and f the Father through Him. The writer of Letter to the Hebrews calls Jesus "the exact representation of His nature" ( Hebrews 1:3 NASB).  

As we are bombarded with all sorts of teaching and ideas, it is so important that we know Jesus!  It is critical that we understand the foundation of His revelation for He shows us the character and nature of the Father perfectly.  We need this foundational knowledge, this relationship in our lives as guide.  John also speaks of the Holy Spirit as this guide, this helper.  

He writes in John 15:26-27 NASB:  "When the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify about Me, [27] and you will testify also, because you have been with Me from the beginning."

Again, a few chapters later he writes, John 16:13-14 NASB: "But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. [14] He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you."

We must lean into the Lord, learning from Him, looking to Him for guidance and revelation that comes from understanding what He has shown us in and through Scriptures.  We must have this foundational relationship to keep us from being "carried away by all kinds of strange teachings" (Heb 13:9). We must encourage one another onward in this relationship and encourage one another in learning and understanding, pursuing the Truth with our whole lives, that we might be witnesses to this truth with our very lives.

Oh Lord help us!

Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment