Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, August 5, 2021

Set Your Heart and Set Your Mind!

This morning I am reflecting on a couple of verses from Daniel, and Paul's letter to the Colossians.  They are an encouragement and a promise.  Here are the verses from Paul's letter, the encouragement - Colossians 3:1-2 NIV:

[1] "Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. [2] Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things."

and here is the verse from Daniel - the promise - Daniel 10:12 NIV: 

[12] "Then he continued, “Do not be afraid, Daniel. Since the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to them."

And finally an encouragement from Jesus - Luke 12:29-34 NIV:

[29] "And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. [30] For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. [31] But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well. 

[32] “Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. [33] Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. [34] For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

What great encouragements and promises, especially in these days of distraction!  Oh Lord, that we would set our hearts and minds on You!

It is interesting how the NIV has translated these verses, for the Greek word, here translated 'set your heart', is the word zeteo and it means to continue seeking.  It seems to be more of a chosen direction or ultimate goal to pursue. These days we have great examples of people who have set their hearts on becoming famous (Tiktokkers), or popular (Celebrities), or even the best athlete in the world (Olympic Athletes).  These are all people who are constantly in pursuit of something.  Jesus encouragement is for us to seek His Kingdom, constantly and firstly.  

The Greek word translated set your mind is phroneo, and Strong's defines it: "From G5424; to exercise the mind, that is, entertain or have a sentiment or opinion; by implication to be (mentally) disposed (more or less earnestly in a certain direction); intensively to interest oneself in (with concern or obedience): - set the affection on, (be) care (-ful), (be like-, + be of one, + be of the same, + let this) mind (-ed, regard, savour, think."

Thus, while related to setting one's heart, it really is about what we interest our self in and how we even think.  I was thinking that zeteo is like setting a course for one's feet, and phroneo is what we really pay attention to and learn along that course.   

So back to the encouragements and the promises. Jesus and Paul both encourage us to set our hearts, and that is a very important step.  This is not a going with the flow and seeing what happens thing.  This is not being a Christian because our parents were Christians, this is an encouragement to own, to choose, to pursue.  Jesus encourages us to seek His Kingdom, to seek after what God is about, to seek what is on His heart.  He knows we can be distracted by all sorts of things, and sometimes they are even classified as needs.  His promise is that if we seek God first, God will provide that which we need, and that which has real value. Jesus encourages us to set our hearts on Him, and  as we do so, our true treasure will be revealed, and that treasure does not necessarily exist here and now.  

Paul's encouragement is to both direct our heart and to set our minds, on heavenly things.  It is interesting that both Jesus and Paul are directing us to gaze heavenward.  We would be wise to listen and embrace this attitude.  Again, in this world there are so many distractions, yet our home and our true identity is anchored in Heaven, as that is where we are hidden in Christ.  We can become so focused on the here and now, that we miss what's happening in Heaven.  Not that we can necessarily see, although some can occasionally receive glimpses, but we can make ourselves aware as much as possible.  

I included the verses from Daniel because the promise is not just for Daniel, but I believe for all of us!  I believe that when we set our hearts and minds on the Lord, on heavenly realities, our action is noted in Heaven, and our prayers are heard and God's response is swift.  It might not seem that way to us, but then again, what are we looking at?  I kind of think this is a bit like when I get a question or a request from a customer.  Upon receipt I try to let them know as soon as possible that I have seen the request and started working on it.  The actual task may take days, sometimes even weeks, but rest assured I am working, and communicating in the background to get an answer for them.  From their perspective it might not seem like I am doing anything, until I provide them the answer.  I often will send a note just letting them know that I am still working on it.  Is not the Lord much better at all of this?    

When we are praying, setting our hearts and minds on the Lord, we know He sees this choice we are making, and this is His chief desire for us!  Will He not respond?  Will He not acknowledge our movement towards Him?  If we are looking towards Him, looking to Him, we will see His response, we will hear His response, we will understand He is moving on our behalf.  

There have been times where I really needed an answer and it seemed like God was willing to talk about anything but the answer I needed, and I remember being frustrated, like, "Don't you realize how important this is to me?", and God was just not apparently responding to those pleas.  In looking back, He was totally at work, but it was in ways I didn't see or understand at the time.  The fact that He was still engaging me daily should have been enough for me to know that, not only was he working on my stuff, but He was also wanting me to experience the peace His presence brings!   My heart and mind were so set on the answer I thought I needed, I missed the fact that He was standing right there with me, providing me the assurance that He was, and is and will always be working on my behalf, interceding for me, guiding me and helping me.  If I could have pulled my gaze out of my situation, I would have seen this...

I could go on indefinitely, but let me stop here.  In summary, where we look, what we set our hearts to pursue, what we focus our minds on, greatly affects what we see!  That shouldn't be a revelation but sometimes we miss it, or are distracted.  He is so good, and so desirous of our hearts being turned towards Him, that He will run to meet us, as Jesus described the Father's response in Luke 15:20.  Let us choose to direct our hearts and minds to pursue God and to pay attention to Him!  Let us lay down the things we are distracted by, and let us raise our eyes, our hearts and our minds to heaven.  Let us contemplate His great love for us!  Let us enjoy the sweetness of His presence, His peace and consolation.  Let us choose the best thing like Mary when she sat at the feet of Jesus.  In closing here are Jesus' words to Mary's sister Martha.  

Luke 10:41-42 NIV:

[41] “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, [42] but few things are needed---or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment