Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, August 6, 2021

"That Living Word Awakened My Soul!"

Last night I had an interesting dream where I was watching Helen Keller learn to communicate.  In the dream, I was watching the playing out of this experience described by Helen herself -  “As the cool stream gushed over one hand she spelled into the other the word water, first slowly, then rapidly. I stood still, my whole attention fixed upon the motions of her fingers. Suddenly I felt a misty consciousness as of something forgotten–-a thrill of returning thought; and somehow the mystery of language was revealed to me. I knew then that ‘w-a-t-e-r’ meant the wonderful cool something that was flowing over my hand. That living word awakened my soul, gave it light, hope, joy, set it free! There were barriers still, it is true, but barriers that could in time be swept away.” (See: http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/on-this-day/March-April-08/On-this-Day--Helen-Keller-Comprehends-the-Word--Water-.html )

When I woke up, I remembered that I had reflected on this experience last year, and even journaled about it, as I felt it related to our desire to communicate with the Lord, see - https://amomentwithgod-srh.blogspot.com/2020/10/an-invitation-to-greater-revelation-and.html

This morning I feel that this invitation to a new paradigm of communication and understanding is continuing to be extended, as the Lord draws me deeper.  Recently I read a book by Kris Vallatton, titled "Developing a Supernatural Lifestyle." In this book he talks about the language of God, and how He communicates with humans.  He writes that God's first language isn't English, or any language of men, but rather reveals His communication in other ways.  In Acts, Chapter Two, Peter is explaining the outpouring of the Holy Spirit they had just received and he quotes the Prophet Joel  saying, “ 'In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy.  I will show wonders in the heavens above and signs on the earth below, blood and fire and billows of smoke." ( Acts 2:17-19 NIV).

Scripture is full of images and pictures, visions and dreams, understandings, signs and wonders, and even angelic visitations that were communications from God Himself to humans.  We find God continually intervening and bringing understanding and revelation, guiding and directing, first one way, then another, always with a heart to lead His people to a greater understanding of Himself, and their relationship to Him.  

The experience of Pentecost, was the beginning of a massive outpouring of Holy Spirit into the Church, and He has never withdrawn from the Church since that day.  We may have grown deaf or blind, or just plain unbelieving over the years, but Holy Spirit is still alive and well and desirous of rich communication with us!  I feel that this invitation is open to all who would put their hand into the cool water and allow Him (Holy Spirit) to teach us to communicate in new ways, new ways to us, that is!  

Let me be clear their is plenty of communication occurring all  around us, every day, in the spiritual realm, we just don't have an awareness.  In the same way that our lives are surrounded by RF (radio frequency) signals which carry music, sports, news and entertainment to TVs, cell phones, and any other wireless receiver with the ability to pick up the signal, there is spiritual communication occurring for those who can hear and perceive.  

I remember in junior high when I built a crystal radio that was able to pickup radio signals without even using a battery to power the receiver.  I was amazed to think that this signal was all around, and didn't even require power to listen.  

Is it possible that God is constantly communicating to us, we just don't have much ability to discern and understand yet?  People were speaking and listening all around Helen Keller, before she started to understand and interact, and in time she learned to participate and communicate effectively.  We need someone like Anne Sullivan who taught Helen to communicate.  Thankfully, Jesus said the following - John 14:16,26 NIV: "And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever---"  

[26] "But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you."  

We have the greatest teacher of all residing with us and in us, we just need to learn to listen to Him.  We expect words, but maybe He is using images, visions, dreams, imaginations and ideas!  

I remember when I first came to know the Lord, it seemed His voice was loud, but as I grew in understanding His voice seemed to fade away.  One day I was out walking complaining about this very thing to the Lord, and I felt Him say that "learning to listen to His quiet voice was part of maturity".  Since that day I have made an effort to listen daily, and to recognize His quiet voice, and I am glad to say that I am still hearing Him.  

This invitation, however, seems to me to be an invitation to a higher level of communication and revelation, an invitation into the greater stream of heavenly communication that is constantly pouring forth from the Throne room of God.  I am reminded of the image Ezekiel had of the stream flowing from the temple (See Ezekiel 47:1-12).  What if this stream of water represented, among other things, the stream of communication from God to His people?

Philip, at one point asked Jesus to show them the Father, and Jesus responded as follows - John 14:9-14 NIV:

[9] "Jesus answered: “Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? [10] Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. [11] Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves. [12] Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. [13] And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. [14] You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."

Oh that we could answer the world, "believe me when I say the (Holy Spirit) is in me, or at least believe on the evidence of the works!"  Oh that we would hear the words of the Lord clearly, and speak them forth!  Oh that we would see, hear, know and understand all the communication from Heaven, that we might represent God truly to this world, and bring Glory to Him!  

Lord, open our understanding, reveal your communication, help us to step into the cool stream and understand!  That we all might cry out, "That living word awakened my soul, gave it light, hope, joy, set it free!"  

Come Holy Spirit and help us!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment