Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, August 30, 2021

What's My Job?


This morning I am reflecting upon a few verses from Paul's letter to the Ephesians. The verses are interspersed in the same chapter, and all have a similar theme.  Here are the verses - Ephesians 5:1-2,8-10,15-17 NIV:

[1] "Follow God's example, therefore, as dearly loved children [2] and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God." 

[8] "For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light [9] (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) [10] and find out what pleases the Lord." 

[15] "Be very careful, then, how you live---not as unwise but as wise, [16] making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. [17] Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is."

I reading these I want to pull together the three thoughts that seemed connected to me.   They are "Follow God's Example", "find out what pleases the Lord", and understand what the Lord's will is."   These are pretty straight forward phrases, but to really engage in each,  we are required to a gain level of relationship beyond just knowing what is in the Bible. 

What I mean is this, God's will, what pleases the Lord and following His example, are great things, but there is so much need in this world, that trying to do everything that pleases the Lord or follows His example would be impossible for any one individual.  In the same way that we are each a part of the Body of Christ, we each have a particular role to play in the greater effort that is God's overarching will.  He is about so much in this world, that we must have the ability to discern, each for themselves, what is God's particular will for them, and it will likely be different for each.  I could be called to serve homeless, widows, orphans, the poor, the wounded, the disabled, the lost, the young disciples, the marketplace, the leadership, or any number of other needy groups.  I could be called to teach, to pastor, to evangelism, to service, to hospitality, to mercy gifts, to prophetic ministry, and any other gift or ministry calling.  All of these is following God's example, pleasing to Him, and doing His will.

The key here is that we each must understand this for ourselves.  We must learn to listen to the Lord, and put our hands to that which He directs.  Early in our Christian walk we were widely involved in several things, and it seemed like every time we turned around we had another great opportunity, and we were starting to become overwhelmed at the need.  I asked the Lord for some guidance and He gave me some very good advice, saying that if we didn't have clear direction, then we needed to wait and see what stayed at the top of our hearts and thoughts.  He didn't want us burning ourselves out, and thus provided us guidance to wait and let things work themselves out in time.  It was great wisdom, at least for us, and it helps us to achieve balance in our lives, without feeling guilty about all the other things we could be doing.

At the end of my days, I want to be able to say that I ran the particular race that was marked out for me!  I am not competing with anyone else, for each of our courses is as unique as we are!  I want to know that I have followed the Lord's example, that I have tried to do what pleased Him, and looked to His will every day.  I am confident that if this is my heart that He, who wants me to succeed at the very things He has set before me to do, will guide me and direct me! 

My prayer today is that my heart and mind may be sensitive to His will, His purpose, His pleasure, and His example!  

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment