Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, September 4, 2021

Encouragement For The Mostly Nameless, Faithful Ones!


This morning I felt like I should read from Nehemiah, chapter 7, and it is mostly about who came back from Babylon with Nehemiah.  I thought it interesting that four families constituted 26% of the people.  Here is the list of the four - Nehemiah 7:11,17,19,38 NASB:

[11] "the sons of Pahath-moab of the sons of Jeshua and Joab, 2,818; 

[17] the sons of Azgad, 2,322; 

[19] the sons of Bigvai, 2,067; 

[38] the sons of Senaah, 3,930. 

These are names and men that mean nothing to me, and yet, they were mentioned in the Word, and thus significant.  The total number that came back was 42,360 and these four families are very significant. It seems to me that they embraced the encouragements of God found in Jeremiah 29:4-7,10-14 NASB:

[4] "Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, to all the exiles whom I have sent into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon, [5] 'Build houses and live in them; and plant gardens and eat their produce. [6] Take wives and become the fathers of sons and daughters, and take wives for your sons and give your daughters to husbands, that they may bear sons and daughters; and multiply there and do not decrease. [7] Seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the LORD on its behalf; for in its welfare you will have welfare.' 

[10] "For thus says the LORD, 'When seventy years have been completed for Babylon, I will visit you and fulfill My good word to you, to bring you back to this place. [11] For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope. [12] Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. [13] You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart. [14] I will be found by you,' declares the LORD, 'and I will restore your fortunes and will gather you from all the nations and from all the places where I have driven you,' declares the LORD, 'and I will bring you back to the place from where I sent you into exile.'"

The heads of the four families mentioned in Nehemiah must have believed the words of the Lord and applied them to their lives.  They must have multiplied, they must have prayed for the welfare of the place they were sent, and mostly they must have remembered the promise of the Lord that after 70 years they would return to Judah and Jerusalem.

I can just imagine these men being diligent to teach their sons and daughters, grandsons and granddaughters, even great-grand-children, about the promise of the Lord, about His encouragements and how they were to embrace them and prepare for the day they would be brought back!  What a great example of hearing the Word of the Lord and applying the Word of the Lord to their lives.  They wouldn't be considered heroes, or even men of renown, they were faithful and dedicated to the Word of the Lord, to embracing His promises and preparing their lives and their children to follow diligently the path God set them on.  

When the verses from Jeremiah are quoted we pretty much never hear verses 4-7 preached, and just start with verse 10.  We like the promise, but without verses 4-7 there wouldn't have been nearly as many people to return to Judah. and Jerusalem.  Sometimes the Lord's word to us in a tough season is to embrace where you are, to look for His blessing in the midst of the struggles, to make sure to remember His promises and to press on seeking the welfare of those who are around you, even if it feels like captivity.

I was just reminded of Joseph, who found himself in prison, but rather than complain and moan, he looked for ways to better the prison, and worked for the welfare of his fellow prisoners, and ended up running the whole place.  (See Genesis 39:19-23)  What a great example of holding onto the promise of the Lord, even though he had no idea how it would be fulfilled.  

This morning I am encouraged to look at my situation with different eyes, and a different heart attitude. God does desire to prosper us, sometimes it could take a generation or two to come to fruition!  I am encouraged to believe His word, to encourage my children and grand-children in His ways to make sure that His ways are made known, His promises  are proclaimed and that I remain faithful to pursue Him, to believe in Him and to entrust my future to Him.  I don't need to worry about being one of the named, or recognized leaders, just being a faithful dad, and grandfather is sufficient to be noticed by the Lord!  

Thank You Lord for Your encouragement and recognition of the faithful, mostly nameless, fathers and families.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment