Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, September 14, 2021

One In Christ, Period!

This morning I was reading through the Facebook postings, which probably isn't the best way to start a day, but it does help me direct my prayers.  Anyway, I saw something that got me thinking and reminded me of some verses that Paul wrote in his letter to the Galatians 3:26-28 NIV:

[26] "So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, [27] for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. [28] There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

We could and probably should add some recent other labels here such as "neither democrat nor republican, neither vaccinated nor unvaccinated, neither masked nor unmasked", for you are all ONE in Christ Jesus!  

There is no place for labels in the Body of Christ, and yet we are allowing ourselves to use labels to decide who we want to have in our fellowship.  I love how Paul cuts to the issue here, we are one in Christ Jesus, we are hidden in Him and He is who makes us one!  

I am reminded of a phrase used at Christian weddings, that comes directly from Jesus. He was speaking about marriage, but I daresay there is applicability here as well.  Quoting Jesus from Mark 10:8-9 NIV:  "and the two will become one flesh.' So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”  

According to Paul in the above verses, God is the one who has made us one, joined us together in Christ Jesus.

Who are we to say we are not?!

If you find yourselves thinking that others who disagree with you can't be your brothers and sisters in Christ, you might be listening to the wrong voice!

Not that this is anything new, the enemy has been trying to cause division and strife since the days of the early church, but to be clear, it is from the enemy, not God.  Paul had to confront a similar issue in Corinth and this is what he wrote - 1 Corinthians 1:10-13 NIV:

[10] "I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought. [11] My brothers and sisters, some from Chloe's household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. [12] What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas ”; still another, “I follow Christ.” 

[13] Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul?"

Can we even believe that verse 10 above is possible in today's church?  

I believe that these people that Paul is addressing were well-meaning individuals, who thought they were doing what was right.  The teaching and preaching of the different individuals appealed to some more than others, and that is what being a part of the body is all about, some of us have different roles and different perspectives, hand versus feet for example, but we are all part of the same Body of Christ.   They allowed their preferences to become lines of separation, and that is what we must reject. 

We are either one, or the Holy Spirit, as author, is lying. 

So, if we believe the Word, we need to get our minds in line with the Word.  

I love the fact that Paul pretty much addresses most things, for he writes,  "All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you." (Ephesians 3:15 NIV).

Let us pray for understanding, humility and a willingness to allow God to make clear where we need to change!  Let us hold fast to the Word, rejecting the lies of the enemy and his efforts to cause division in the Body of Christ.  Let us choose to embrace and affirm our oneness in Christ Jesus!  Let us pray for mercy, grace and compassion to rise up!  Let us choose to love one another as Christ loved us!  Let us lay down our labels and welcome all who have been joined to Christ!  

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment