Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, September 12, 2021

Humility and Compassion for Those Who Think Differently

This morning I felt led to read from 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 NIV:

[19] "Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. [20] To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. [21] To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. [22] To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. [23] I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings."

This morning I have been thinking about all the craziness surrounding Covid, the polar opposite extremes of belief and stances concerning the disease, the vaccine, the responses to one another, and all of this is found within the church, with the local congregation that I call my home.  It is amazing to me how an issue of disease and health has become so divisive in our world, and particularly in the Church.

Paul here is talking about his approach in ministry, dealing with those under the Law, and those not under the Law.  He made an effort to reach each group where they were at, rather than taking a position of moral or theological superiority.  He worked to effectively love these people groups where they were, all for the sake of the Gospel!  Paul's statement in verse 23 is what grabbed my attention this morning, for Paul never lost sight of the goal, of the call on his life and of the purpose of His ministry.  He effectively made his understanding and position subservient to the the needs of the Church and its commission, the proclamation of the Gospel to all people groups.  If he has belittled or judged those who still lived as under the law, his effectiveness to them would have been hampered.  Paul was able to effectively minister because he maintained relationship and gave grace to those who didn't see things the same way as he did, that He might continue to minister.

My question this morning, is how does our response to all the noise, mandates, laws and opinions about Covid relate to the Gospel?  How does all this relate to our new commandment to love one another as Christ loved us?  Is our response affecting our ministry ability or even relationships with those who hold differing opinions? How do we treat those who have different opinions?  Is our response to this all a salvation issue?  

As I was thinking about Paul's response to his issues, I see that he was simply following Jesus' example.  As Paul wrote in his letter to the  Philippians 2:1-8 NIV:

[1] Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, [2] then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. [3] Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, [4] not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. [5] In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: [6] Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; [7] rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. [8] And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death---even death on a cross!"

Jesus, the very Son of God, came to earth, becoming like us fully, that He might save us!  He didn't use His position to judge us, but rather came and become like us to save us.  Paul, likewise didn't hold to his beliefs and reject all those that thought differently, rather he had compassion and embraced them in their position.  I like his exhortation at the end of verse 1, if you have any tenderness or compassion, and that is what I think we need to embrace, tenderness and compassion towards one another, rather than judgment and condemnation of those who see things differently.

My prayer today is that we, as the Church, might pray for one another, might give grace to one another and embrace and maintain relationship with those who don't hold the same opinion as we do, for the sake of the Gospel, and our Lord Jesus.  I pray that our hearts might be softened so that we could choose to embrace unity, rather than refusing to consider relationship with anyone who thinks differently.  Let us embrace humility for the sake of the Gospel!

Lord help us all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment