Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, September 9, 2021

The Glory of the Present and Former House

This morning I felt led to read from Haggai, and while a relatively short book, it does have some important prophetic perspective.  Historically, Haggai was a prophet after the return of the Jews from Babylonian exile.  The first chapter is an encouragement to start work on rebuilding the Temple.  Apparently the people were more focused on rebuilding their own homes, and God called them on their lack of concern for His house.   I provide that as a background to these next verses, to help us understand what God is saying and why.  Here are my verses for reflection - Haggai 2:3-9 NIV:

[3] 'Who of you is left who saw this house in its former glory? How does it look to you now? Does it not seem to you like nothing? [4] But now be strong, Zerubbabel,' declares the Lord. 'Be strong, Joshua son of Jozadak, the high priest. Be strong, all you people of the land,' declares the Lord, 'and work. For I am with you,' declares the Lord Almighty. [5] 'This is what I covenanted with you when you came out of Egypt. And my Spirit remains among you. Do not fear.' 

[6] “This is what the Lord Almighty says: 'In a little while I will once more shake the heavens and the earth, the sea and the dry land. [7] I will shake all nations, and what is desired by all nations will come, and I will fill this house with glory, ' says the Lord Almighty. [8] 'The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the Lord Almighty. [9] 'The glory of this present house will be greater than the glory of the former house,' says the Lord Almighty. 'And in this place I will grant peace, ' declares the Lord Almighty.”

As I was reading these verses this morning, I was aware of the fact that these verses are often quoted, and used as a promise of future glory for the church, and I certainly don't disagree.  Much like the famous verses from Jeremiah 29:11 NIV: "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future" these verses from Haggai have more than one fulfillment.  In the verses from Jeremiah, they are God's promise to the people prior to their being sent into exile and captivity in Babylon.  We often don't think about the context into which they were spoken, for things were about to get really bad for the Jews.  These verses from Haggai are spoken to this remnant of people who are busy rebuilding and repopulating Jerusalem and the other cities that had been forcefully abandoned under the Babylonians.  The Temple was in ruins, and they had needed to rebuild the city walls, their own homes, etc.  They were in a tough place, and it wasn't getting much easier.

Into this context Haggai receives this encouragement, this prophecy about the Glory of this present house being greater than the former house.  It seems to me that this was no simple encouragement to just keep up the work a little longer, but a prophecy of unachievable significance and provision. The temple God is talking about is clearly more than just the building that was the Temple, He was also referring to His Kingdom that would come under Jesus. However, they certainly didn't understand the Messianic context, so in the natural the ability for these 42,000 returnees to build a temple more magnificent than what was built by Solomon is ludicrous, almost preposterous, and yet it was God's promise!  

Solomon had huge sums of wealth and thousands and thousands of workers.  It took him seven years to complete, and that was with a whole group of individuals  whose full-time job it was to build the Temple.  In this case, we have a a small remnant, a people with many other responsibilities and concerns, and God tells them to rebuild the temple and that the glory of this (present once built) house will be greater than the glory of the former.  All they needed to do was lay their hands to the labor required, and work (Haggai 2:4).   

We do know that the Herodian Temple was a grand building that stood for many years in Jerusalem, prior to its destruction  by Rome, and it was to this temple that Jesus came, the Son of God in person, so the prophecy spoken through Haggai was certainly fulfilled in Jesus' time.  The book of Haggai was apparently written in 520BC, so this prophecy had a long time-line to fulfillment.  

My question this morning, is whether or not this prophecy has applicability to our present time?  

Can we reach back to Haggai and read his prophecy and apply it to the present Church?

If so, would it refer to the Glory of the present Church when compared to the early church?

In my opinion the answer to all these is yes!  

We know the the Kingdom of God, established by Jesus, and most evident in the Church is ever expanding and increasing in Glory.  Jesus spoke of this through many parables (See Mark 4:25-36 as an example) and it was spoken of prophetically by Isaiah. (See Isaiah 9:7).  We know the Glory of God will cover the whole earth (Isaiah 6:3).  We know that Jesus commanded us to go and make disciples of all the people groups and nations (Matt 28:18-19).  We know that Jesus promised that we would do even greater works than He did!  (John 14:121).  All this is so encouraging, until I stop and look at all the work it will require, and all the work that will be required of me! :-)

I don't know about You, but I love the grand and glorious promises, the visions of Jesus coming again to a victorious church and spotless Bride!  I love all that imagery and believe the promises.  Sometimes I want to sit back and watch it all happen, not really worrying about anything other than my life and making sure I am right with the Lord.  I find myself so caught up in my own little worries and concerns, (worrying about my own house, if you will - see Haggai 1:4) that I lose sight of the greater purpose and responsibility I have in the Kingdom.  

However, today I feel like the Lord's word is "believe my promise and get to work!!"  I hear his words from Haggai echoed, "Be strong, all you people of the land,' declares the Lord, 'and work. For I am with you,' declares the Lord Almighty... And my Spirit remains among you. Do not fear.' (Haggai 2:4-5).  Things might be looking rough, and certainly much of the church is in shambles from sexual misconduct charges, or distracted by covid, or up in arms about the vaccine or face masks or whatever, but I hear the Lord saying it is time for you to be concerned about My House, My Church, My Bride!   

I do believe that the Glory of THIS PRESENT HOUSE will eclipse the glory of the former house, and that we are coming into a time where God is going to shake the heavens and the earth!  I believe we are going to see more signs and wonders than they did in the Apostolic early Church!  I believe God is going to move, and that movement includes each of us!  We need to each do our part and that requires that we concern ourselves with His house and get to work.  His Holy Spirit remains among us, and His power is present to save and heal and work mighty miracles.  Let us not fear!

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment