Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, September 23, 2021

Encouragement For First Things

This past Sunday, one of our pastors spoke on the importance of encouragement in the Body of Christ, and he used two verses from Hebrews 3:12-13 NASB:

[12] "Take care, brethren, that there not be in any one of you an evil, unbelieving heart that falls away from the living God. [13] But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called "Today," so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin."

It was an excellent teaching and encouragement.  This morning I opened up my Bible to 2 John, and basically saw John doing the very same thing that our pastor spoke on this past Sunday, encouraging the Body of Christ.  In this case John is writing to a lady, with whom he is familiar, maybe even a family friend and encourages and reminds her of the key of our faith, loving one another - 2 John 1:5-6 NASB:

[5] "Now I ask you, lady, not as though I were writing to you a new commandment, but the one which we have had from the beginning, that we love one another. [6] And this is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, that you should walk in it."

I like how John is very specific, what he writes is this is not a new commandment, but rather the original commandment, to love one another.  I saw a note recently from a well know Christian teacher, saying that essentially most good preaching is just reminding us of the truth, not teaching something new.  As Christian's we do need to be reminded of the truth, of the basics of our faith from time to time.  I know for me, this is what I spend plenty of time doing, being reminded of the basics of my truth, and then taking those basics and applying them to my life, making sure first things are actually first.

Primarily, we do need to be reminded to love one another, as Christ loved us.  We are commanded to do so, by Jesus.  Somewhere along the way we have missed the importance of this and even have lost some of our understanding of the word love.  Now days we associate love with good feelings towards one another that go deeper than just friendship.  

While feelings are a part of love, Jesus said we must love as He loved, and that is so much more than just feelings.  It was for love that Jesus came and sacrificed Himself, embracing the cross and death (John 3:16-17) for that is how He saved us.  Jesus loved by calling people into their true identity (See Luke 19:1-10).  Jesus loved by healing (Mark 1:41).  Jesus loved us by speaking the truth about the Father (Luke 10:22), and setting us free from religion and the Law (Gal 5:1).  Jesus loved the sinners and the poor, the people that others looked down on (Matt 9:10-11)!  Jesus loved, by word, by deed, by action!  

This was John's message and he said it well in his first letter - 1 John 3:16-18 NIV:

[16] "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. [17] If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? [18] Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth."

- and again- 

1 John 3:23-24 NIV:

[23] "And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. [24] The one who keeps God's commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us."

This morning I am encouraged to look at my life, to see how I am loving.  I am encouraged to love with deeds and actions, with my life, and with my words.  I am encouraged to love as Jesus loves me.  I am encouraged to embrace this command, knowing that in doing so, I am willing to lay down my life for others.  I am reminded of Paul's great encouragement in his letter to the Philippians 2:1-5 NIV:

[1] "Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, [2] then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. [3] Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, [4] not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. [5] In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:"

Yes Lord, help me to take on Your mindset!  Help me to love as You loved!  Help me to lay down my own selfish ambition, and turn my eyes towards You and others in need!  Help me to make You and Your command first!  

Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment