Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, September 27, 2021

The Kingdom of God Is Like A Fungus!



This morning I am reading in Matthew's Gospel and came across several parables of the Kingdom.  I am always interested in any Kingdom related topics, as the Kingdom was Jesus' primary message.  This morning I am going to reflect on what seems to be a simple parable, but I always find there is a richness that opens up upon meditation.  Here is the parable - Matthew 13:33 NIV:

[33] "He told them still another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed into about sixty pounds of flour until it worked all through the dough.”

At first glance this is pretty basic, as I am familiar with the use of yeast in the bread making, as it causes the bread to rise, and creates both the flavors and textures we enjoy.  Normally the amount of yeast used is very small when compared to  amount of flour.  In my general understanding, I always assumed this parable was directed to the Apostles and represented the small beginnings of the church (120 or so) that then spread to cover the world.   I don't think that is wrong, but I also think their is applicability to our life today, hidden here in plain sight.

As I was thinking more about this parable, my first thought was what exactly is yeast.  I must have forgotten my early biology lessons, so I looked it up.  Turns out yeast is a microscopic fungus.  Wouldn't be an interesting title, "The Kingdom of God is like a Fungus!"  Yeast is an incredibly small, egg-shaped single cell fungus.  According to the Red-Star Yeast Company,  "It takes 20,000,000,000 (twenty billion) yeast cells to weigh one gram, or 1/28 of an ounce, of cake yeast."  That really is an incredible number, compared to sixty pounds of flour in the parable.  

Yeast apparently buds, and then separates (See the Photo attached).  It is able to rapidly expand until its food source (sugar in its various forms) is depleted. This rapid expansion actually produces carbon dioxide and alcohol.  When mixed with flour and water it transforms the mixture, and expands the mixture and flavor's the mixture.

So what does this have to do with our life today, as Christians?  I can think of a couple of things.  First, we are supposed to be basically yeast, or fungus if you want to get specific.  We do not become part of the flour, but we act upon the flour mixture.  The phrase "in the world but not of the world" comes to mind (see John 17:14-16). We are in the world, but we are not part of the world anymore, for we are Kingdom citizens.  

Secondly, our lives are meant to impact those around us, and we are meant to multiply, and in this case multiplication is done through budding, which to me sounds much like discipleship, or mentoring (see Matthew 28: 18-20).  

Thirdly, our presence is supposed to lend an aroma to those we encounter.  We are supposed to act upon that which is in the world, transforming it and releasing fragrance (yeast flavoroids in the alcohol) and gas (breath if you will), which sounds to me a bit like praise and worship!  Our lives, our perspective and our ministry are meant to release the potential that is in all of us, giving release to the increase and goodness.

Fourthly, as just mentioned we are meant to cause increase.  God desires to bless, and we are the vehicle through which blessing is meant to come.  Our ministry is the continuation of the ministry of Jesus, and we should see the same things as He demonstrated, for it all comes from God!  Jesus said we would do the same and even greater works (See John14:12)!

This morning I am encouraged that I am part of the Kingdom, and responsible for budding (discipleship). My presence should change the environment around me, and the flavor that comes out should be consistent with the ministry of the Lord!   I am encouraged that though small in my part, I am part of a much larger picture, and my job is relatively simple, multiplication through the Good News and discipleship.   

Oh Lord, help me and help us to flavor the whole world, that worship and praise my erupt all around me!

Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment