Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, July 30, 2021

Unsearchable, Unshakable, and Uncancellable!

This morning I am reflecting on a few verses that will need some deeper research and reflection, from Hebrews 9:23-28 NIV:

[23] "It was necessary, then, for the copies of the heavenly things to be purified with these sacrifices, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. [24] For Christ did not enter a sanctuary made with human hands that was only a copy of the true one; he entered heaven itself, now to appear for us in God's presence. [25] Nor did he enter heaven to offer himself again and again, the way the high priest enters the Most Holy Place every year with blood that is not his own. [26] Otherwise Christ would have had to suffer many times since the creation of the world. But he has appeared once for all at the culmination of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself. [27] Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, [28] so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him."

In reading through these verses, the part that caught my attention was the end of verse 26 where the author writes, "But he has appeared once for all at the culmination of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself."   That is a such a packed sentence, and one that is translated in various ways, but always with the same essential meaning.  Its points being that Jesus appeared (others translate it as manifested) at the end of the era, and put aside, or put away, sin.  

The author is speaking of the heavenly courts, the sanctuary and place where God dwells, and says that Jesus appears there.  His purpose is to cause sin to be disregarded, or put away, and Himself to be seen or regarded by the Father.  It is as if the Father, when He previously looked at man, saw sin, but now that Jesus has appeared as the perfect sacrifice, the Father only looks at Him!  What an encouragement!!  When the Father looks at me, He sees Jesus! He doesn't see my sin, because Jesus has put that away.  In effect, Jesus now represents me to the Father.

Many of us struggle with the finality of Jesus' sacrifice as it applies to all of our life, past, present and future, and we, in our limited human minds don't really grasp that reality.   I know I certainly don't grasp that fully, yet in faith I believe it is and must be true.  If Jesus put away sin, effectively retiring its eternal hold over me, then it can never undue Jesus' sacrifice and payment.  His payment was eternal, He now resides in that eternal throne room, and the payment has been made and the sins for all eternity are put away. Nothing can shake this reality, for it is accomplished, the price has been paid, and accepted.

We use words like "was", "now" and "are" to talk about an eternal event that was both inside  (33AD) and outside of time, and we must do so, for we can't really grasp a reality outside of time.  We can picture it, maybe, but to grasp the impact of such a reality in our present time-based reality is a struggle.  This is one thing I love about the Eastern Church, they are ok with mystery as it relates to God and His nature.  They don't think they need t figure it all out!  Embracing verses like these require a willingness to have things not quite fully settled, knowing that the translation of eternal reality into the any earthly language is just not possible.  

The author then goes on to talk about our death and judgment, which in light of the previous statement is interesting.  If our sins are put away, what then are we judged on? (For an interesting thought concerning this, see Matt 25:31-46)  Continuing that statement, the author than says that Jesus was sacrificed to take away the sins of many, not all.  This is an important distinction, I think, for salvation, while available to all, is not accepted by all.  It is in the acceptance of the salvation that is offered that His sacrifice is applied to our lives, and our sins are taken away, or put away.  This is all so amazing, and so unsearchable, it sounds much to good to be true. 

Paul writes of something similar, speaking of how, once we have received salvation, we are hidden in Christ, in his letter to the Colossians 3:3 NIV: "For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God." We, in our acceptance of His sacrifice, having His blood poured out for us, are thus cleansed and joined to Him.  When we receive Jesus' salvation, our old man is joined to Him in His death, and our new man is now hidden in Him.  Yep, another one of those not quite graspable realities.  

I could go on reflecting and meditating, but for today, I am sated!  He is my savior.  He has put away my sin eternally!  He now represents me to the Father. I am hidden in Christ, and He is in the Throne Room in Heaven!  I am quite sure I can rest in His eternal sacrifice as unshakable and uncancellable.  That such a  spectacular offering would be presented to me, for me to choose to accept, is beyond belief, comprehension or understanding, but it is true.

Thank You Lord for doing that which I will likely never fully comprehend, and for not holding my limited ability to understand against me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment