Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, July 10, 2021

Forgiveness for Betrayal?

Last night I continued to think about a topic that I was meditating on yesterday, and found myself at one point feeling like I had heard a bit from the Lord.  There were several thoughts linked together that I am not sure I can remember all, but the strong sense I had was that the specific verses I was reflecting on ( Heb. 10:26-31), are meant as a warning of final judgment.  The Lord is merciful, more merciful than man ever thought of being, and in the worst case of betrayal, man can find it in his heart to forgive, with God's help, than so can the Lord.  

In fact as I was thinking about it, the Lord brought up the topic of Judas, and asked if I thought He loved him.  I think the obvious answer is yes!  He was one of His closest followers, and the reason it was such a deep betrayal was because Jesus loved him, as did the others.  Which then leads me  to the question of whether or not Jesus forgave Judas?  Obviously at this point, it is all conjecture on my part, but my thought is that yes, there was in Jesus' heart forgiveness for Judas.  That probably goes against what many of us have been taught, but I thought it a good reflection this morning.  A couple of things to consider:

1) Jesus chose him, and he walked with Jesus for at least a couple of years (Luke 6:16)

2) There was no hint of who the betrayer would be, so much so that every one of the apostles asked if it was them? (Matt 26:21-22)

3) While not as severe a betrayal, Peter was forgiven for his denial of Christ. (John 21:15-20)

4) They were still thinking Jesus was going to be a conquering king, and Jesus was refusing that role, and this might have been part of why Judas did what He did, disappointment and disillusionment (Matt 20:24-28)

5) Judas was repentant. (Matt 27:3)

6) Judas role was critical to the prophetic fulfillment of Christ's sacrifice, and yet Jesus' death was not Judas' intent. (Acts 1:16 & Matt 27:3)

7) Judas was possessed of a demon. (Luke 22:3)

8) Judas was distraught to the point of suicide over his betrayal (Matt 27:5)

9) Jesus, knowing full well that He had been betrayed, and knowing what was about to take place (His passion and death) welcomed Judas, even as He betrayed Him. (Matt 26:49-50)

10) Looking at Scriptural precedence - David was forgiven for betraying a loyal friend (Uriah) unto death. (2 Sam 11:3-22 & 2 Sam 12:13)

11) Jesus' teaching on forgiveness of one who sins against you (Luke 17:3)

12) Jesus asking the Father to forgive those that were crucifying Him, for they didn't know what they were doing (Luke 23:34) and I think Judas fits into that description.

Without going into my thoughts on each point above, it seems to me that there is a strong possibility that Jesus did forgive Judas.  His ministry had much of a focus on the forgiveness of sins, and all sin is in some way a sin against the person of God.  I think it is clear that Judas was repentant, and that he was sorrowful for his actions.  His actions, while they paved the way for Jesus' passion and death, were clearly not the deciding factor. One could certainly argue that the Pharisees and teachers of the Law were far more responsible for His death, and yet following His death and resurrection, if they had repented and received salvation, they would have been forgiven (one would think).

I don't believe that the verses in Heb 10:26-31 apply to Judas, because the sacrifice of Jesus had not yet happened, and Judas certainly repented of his betrayal.  We have no evidence that Judas treated as unholy Jesus' blood, nor that he insulted the Spirit of grace, although we might argue for the last. He did betray Jesus, but repented, and that is clearly not in line with the Hebrew verses.

As I wrote earlier, this is clearly all assumptive on my part, and at the end I am not the judge, only God is capable of rightly judging an individual.  We are tempted to take scriptures and apply them as a sentence of judgment, but only God can do that, and even when on earth, Jesus refused to judge as He said in John 12:47-48 NIV: “If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world. [48] There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day."  Judgement is reserved for the last day, so let us not take on the role of God or His word, and think we can pass judgment today.

In summary, I am encouraged that the Lord can and does forgive sins against Him.  He is merciful and compassionate far beyond man's abilities to be merciful and compassionate.  He has paid the price for our sins, and sits at the right had of the Father interceding for us! (Rom 8:34). 

Amen!

1 comment:

  1. When writing this reflection, I forgot about this verse which clearly is related to Judas. John 17:12 NASB: "While I was with them, I was keeping them in Your name which You have given Me; and I guarded them and not one of them perished but the son of perdition, so that the Scripture would be fulfilled."

    I don't want to misquote scripture or paint a less than complete picture. I haven't spent any time reflecting on this verse or looking at the deeper context and meaning. - Sam

    ReplyDelete