Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, July 27, 2021

The Two Testimonies - The Word & The Works

This morning as I sat down to pray, and asked the Lord to direct my thoughts and prayers, the word "testimony" popped into my mind, rather than a particular book, chapter or verse.  This becomes much more of a treasure hunt, as there could be tens, maybe even hundreds of passages that are related to the word testimony.  I do enjoy an electronic version of the Bible in these instances, for searching by key-word is easy to do.  

As I read through all the verses quickly, I was surprised how many times the word testimony was used in the Old Testament (at least in this version of the NIV).  The use of it in the Old Testament was almost always related to a trial, and the testimony of a witness.  There are those that in their effort to discredit someone, bring false testimony, and the law sets standards of the proper use, and requirements.  I only mention this because it is into that culture that Jesus came and spoke.  

There are two significant places in John's Gospel where the topic of testimony is brought up, first with Nicodemus, secondly in John 5, after healing the man at the pool, when the teachers were questioning by whose authority He was acting, and causing a healing to occur on the Sabbath. The first conversation is not so much a proof, as an invitation into the higher reality of heaven.   Here are those verses - John 3:5-15 NIV:

[5] Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. [6] Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. [7] You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You must be born again.' [8] The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.” 

[9] “How can this be?” Nicodemus asked. 

[10] “You are Israel's teacher,” said Jesus, “and do you not understand these things? [11] Very truly I tell you, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony. [12] I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things? [13] No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven---the Son of Man. [14] Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, [15] that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him.”

I have a couple of observations, after reflecting on these verses;

1) The new birth by the Spirit, can only happen by the Spirit.  We are unable to force the Spirit to do anything.  

2) The Spirit brings new birth, and while the following growth can occur rapidly, there is a growth process that follows the birth.

3) This new birth, by the Spirit is the door into the Kingdom of God.

4) There are earthly things and heavenly things that are part of our testimony, and as such we must be open to both.

The second set of verses gets into a bit more legal positioning by Jesus, but He is appealing to the scriptures that they know, to establish the truth, which they just don't to hear.  

John 5:31-40 NIV:

[31] “If I testify about myself, my testimony is not true. [32] There is another who testifies in my favor, and I know that his testimony about me is true. 

[33] “You have sent to John and he has testified to the truth. [34] Not that I accept human testimony; but I mention it that you may be saved. [35] John was a lamp that burned and gave light, and you chose for a time to enjoy his light. 

[36] “I have testimony weightier than that of John. For the works that the Father has given me to finish---the very works that I am doing---testify that the Father has sent me. [37] And the Father who sent me has himself testified concerning me. You have never heard his voice nor seen his form, [38] nor does his word dwell in you, for you do not believe the one he sent. [39] You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, [40] yet you refuse to come to me to have life."

In the Old Testament, the testimony of two witnesses was required in court to decide a case.  In this case, Jesus is arguing that His two witnesses are the Word and the Works (Miracles, signs and wonders, etc.).  Oh, that the Church would recognize and welcome the Works, as well as the Word.  We are diligent to study and preach the word, but that is just one testimony.  The other testimony that is required are the works! 

When Jesus sent the twelve and later the seventy-two He essentially equipped them with the same two testimonies, the word and works.  He told them to, "Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel.  As you go, proclaim this message: 'The kingdom of heaven has come near.'  Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give." ( Matthew 10:6-8 NIV ).  

Going back to the previous set of verses from John 3, Jesus spoke of the Spirit giving birth to spiritual things, and the works are these things.  Impossible for flesh, mere man,  to do, but totally possible in the Power of the Holy Spirit.  The power of the Holy Spirit, poured forth from us, is proof and bears witness to the truth of Jesus' words!  We can only do these things if we have been born again and now have access to the Spirit of God moving through us.

Oh Lord, let this same testimony flow out of us, Your Body here on earth!  Let Your Word and these works testify to the fact that You are who You say You are!  Let your word and works bear witness to Your Glory!

Amen Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment