Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, July 1, 2021

The Lord's Words to Us Can Be For Now And The Future

This morning I was reading through Mark's Gospel, chapter 9 and ran across a verse that made me stop and think, which is always a good thing.  My prayer is that anytime I read scripture that I am reading it to learn and grow, and that I will be changed.  The verse that caught my eye occurs right after the Transfiguration as follows - Mark 9:9-13 NIV:

[9] "As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus gave them orders not to tell anyone what they had seen until the Son of Man had risen from the dead. [10] They kept the matter to themselves, discussing what “rising from the dead” meant. 

[11] And they asked him, “Why do the teachers of the law say that Elijah must come first?” 

[12] Jesus replied, “To be sure, Elijah does come first, and restores all things. Why then is it written that the Son of Man must suffer much and be rejected? [13] But I tell you, Elijah has come, and they have done to him everything they wished, just as it is written about him.”

The verse that caught my eye was Jesus' response, specifically verse 12, "To be sure, Elijah does come first, and restores all things. Why then is it written that the Son of Man must suffer much and be rejected?" 

Many times when Jesus answers the apostles questions, it seems like He is more than answering their question, often times it seems like He is almost answering a different question, and this is one of those times.  I was reading Dietrich Bonhoeffer and I am paraphrasing his take on this type of question and answer in that he said this is partly due to Jesus' context and perspective and freedom from the logical alternatives available in the Law. He is here to restore the original relationship of man to the Father, and is often answering from that perspective, providing insight into the greater work, rather than the shallow question that is being asked.  

In this particular case, Jesus is answering with two responses wrapped into one, for He appears to be speaking about both His first coming ( and impending death and resurrection) and His second coming in Glory.  It appears that He is speaking of the past prophecies, present time and future, referencing things that have been prophesied, just experienced and not been spoken yet.  

The Apostles are basing their question in verse 11 on the prophecy found in Malachi 4:5, which speaks of Elijah returning before the Day of the Lord.  Jesus appears to be referencing the ministry of His cousin John, who clearly ministered in the Spirit of Elijah, their most recent experience of seeing Elijah on the mountain top, and apparently is speaking prophetically of the ministry of the two witnesses from Revelations 11, for most commentators believe that Elijah is one of them.  His statement that there is a restoration of all things appears to be referencing His second coming, for it is at that point that "all things" are finally restored.  Additionally, he is also referencing His present life, and impeding death and resurrection which restore what was lost in the Garden of Eden.  

The Apostles are thinking final Messianic rule and reign, but assuming it will be an earthly Kingdom, and Jesus is drawing their minds and hearts to the full prophecy, which includes prophecies about His suffering and death, Isaiah 53:1-12 being the foremost example, not just His messianic reign.  It is clear from verse 10 that the apostles couldn't grasp that Jesus was going to die, for they couldn't understand why He mentioned rising from the dead.  I am sure it was later that the Apostles understood what Jesus was actually saying to them!

In my own personal walk with the Lord, I find His answers and words to me often have this multi-time context.  He is often speaking about a present tense situation, but there is also a greater fulfillment of that word sometime in my future.  It is at those times that the Lord will remind me of what He said often years ago, so that I understand what I am experiencing is a fulfillment of that word spoken several years prior.  I believe there will also likely be a further revelation and fulfillment at later times in my life.  God's word is perfect and it applies to all cases, past, present and future.  It is in those times that the Lord, also helps me understand what He meant, and how to understand past experiences.   As time-bounded individuals, we struggle with these multi-time words for we are liited in our understanding, but the Lord doesn't limit Himself to our limitations.  

In summary, this morning I am encouraged that the Lord knows exactly what He is speaking about when He speaks to me.  I may be limited, but He is not, and He is faithful to fulfill everything that He has promised.  He is also big enough to deal with my confusion, my wrong thinking and my misinterpretations!  

Thank You Lord for calling me forward in You!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment