Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, July 16, 2021

In That Day A Song Will Be Sung

Last night I was reflecting on a couple of passages and saw some parallelisms that were intriguing.  I was praying and I heard the word rampart, and decided to look up a coupe of scriptures - and in the NIV there are 4, of which the one from Isaiah stood out the most.  Here are the verses - Isaiah 26:1-4 NIV:

[1] "In that day this song will be sung in the land of Judah:

 We have a strong city; God makes salvation its walls and ramparts. 

[2] Open the gates that the righteous nation may enter, the nation that keeps faith. 

[3] You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you. 

[4] Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord himself, is the Rock eternal."

Then we were talking about the tabernacle (tent) of David being restored and this is mentioned a few times in scripture, quoted once by James in Acts 15, in the church's response to the Gentile's being brought into the church through Peter's revelation and experience.  Here are the verses - Acts 15:13-18 NIV:

[13] When they finished, James spoke up. “Brothers,” he said, “listen to me. [14] Simon has described to us how God first intervened to choose a people for his name from the Gentiles. [15] The words of the prophets are in agreement with this, as it is written: 

[16] “ 'After this I will return and rebuild David's fallen tent. Its ruins I will rebuild, and I will restore it, 

[17] that the rest of mankind may seek the Lord, even all the Gentiles who bear my name, says the Lord, who does these things'--- 

[18] things known from long ago."

At first glance these may not seem related, but as I was reading and reflecting I saw a few things.  First, in context the verses from Isaiah speak of a new day, as in the chapters prior to this the Prophet was speaking about the Lord allowing the earth to be devastated, so this day spoken of is a new day, and this city is essentially a rebuilt city, with salvation its walls and ramparts.  The Hebrew word translated salvation is yeshua which is very close to the Hebrew version of Jesus. Literally salvation exists in Jesus!  

Opening the gates that the righteous nation may enter, is a picture of what Holy Spirit did through Peter, for the righteous nation could be translated "a righteous, faith-filled people" (The Passion Translation).  Is this not a picture of the Jews and the Gentiles, all made righteous by the Blood of Jesus, entering through faith?! This is exactly what James recalls the Prophet Amos spoke of in Amos 9:10-11, a time when all the mankind, even the Gentiles will be called by His name.  

Additionally, Isaiah starts his prophecy about a song being sung, and that was one of the most important aspects of the tent (tabernacle) of David, for he established worship and praise before the Lord (See 1 Chron 16).  The song being sung in that day is the same as was being extolled in the days of the birth of the Church, for God was establishing a place of refuge, salvation and deliverance!  

Continuing on, I like the promise next spoken of by Isaiah, that there will exist for this people "perfect peace" for those whose minds are steadfast in trust of the Lord!  This reminds me of Paul's exhortation to the Philippians 4:4-9 NIV:

[4] "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! [5] Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. [6] Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. [7] And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." 

[8] "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable---if anything is excellent or praiseworthy---think about such things. [9] Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me---put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you."

This morning I am encouraged that God is continuing to move on the earth, continuing to call a people to Himself through faith in Jesus!  I am encouraged because praise and worship of the Lord is continuing to rise to heaven from earth!  I am encouraged that peace and rest are available to those who trust in the Lord!  I am encouraged because we are clearly closer to "that day" and the final fulfillment of all God's promises!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment