Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Vibrating With Love

This morning I felt led to read from John's first letter, and was reminded of a sermon one of our Pastor's gave a few weeks back about living in the now, not the past, not the future, but embracing the present.  It was a very good perspective.  Here are the verses I am reflecting upon this morning - 1 John 4:16-19 NASB:

[16] "We have come to know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. [17] By this, love is perfected with us, so that we may have confidence in the day of judgment; because as He is, so also are we in this world. [18] There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. [19] We love, because He first loved us."

First, these verses are obviously about God's love and learning to abide in love, abiding in His love for us, and learning to love others in the same way.  One of my recent reflections had to do with God teaching us to love, and I think these two reflections are clearly related.  Each of those short statements, "abide in love", abiding in His love for us", and "learning to love others" are rich topics for reflection, and I will endeavor to plumb the depths a bit.

First the word translated " abide" is the Greek word meno and I like Mounce's definition: "to stay, remain, live, dwell, abide; to be in a state that begins and continues, yet may or may not end or stop. To abide in Christ is to follow his example of a life obedient to the will of God"  What a great description of living in state that begins and continues, and we know that Love of God has no end!  Once we step into a realization of His love, we should never leave!   

Going back to the three short statements, abiding in love, for me means that this is first and foremost my experience and expression.  Love should be what emanates from me, and should be flowing out, as well as into me.  It should be that which colors my world, that frequency that I vibrate and reflect.  I was just reminded of the fine crystal glass vibrating to the sound of someone's voice, often to the point of shattering, obviously in this case not to the point of destruction.  My prayer is that I would experience love all my life and pour out love to all I encounter.

Secondly, I like that picture of my life tuned to God's voice and God's love, so that my encounter with both enhances me, and my ability to love, and allows me to reflect His love.  My confidence should be in God's unending love for me!  He certainly abides in Love, and His love does not end, does not run out, does not falter.  He has loved me since before the creation of the World (Eph 1:4-5), and will continue to love me after this world ends!  If I can grasp ahold of that truth, that rope of love emanating from God, through my entire existence, I can step into a confidence that many do not have in this world.  Many search for their purpose, their significance, the meaning of their life and I think that is all found in and through God's eternal love for us!  God's love is not just emotion, it is active, it is directive, it is full of promise and and purpose!  Oh, that we would all learn to grab firmly ahold of God's love for us, and never let go!

Finally, learning to love others as God loves us, requires a selflessness, and a settledness. It is out of our foundational awareness of God's love that we are able to love others.  John literally says, "we love, because God FIRST loved us."  Thus, for us to love as we ought, we must settle in our mind and hearts His love for us first.   Once we are on that sure foundation, we are called to love others!  Going back to the image of a glass vibrating to the frequency, our lives should vibrate with love!  In every instance, in evey situation, in every encounter, we should be giving off love vibrations!   It almost like we are a portable loudspeaker that is tuned to God's love, that broadcasts His love all around us.  Oh, that I would be a love loudspeaker!  Again, our love, like God's love is not meant to just be emotion, but rather active, full of promise and purposeful.

Lastly, quoting verse 17 above, "as He (Jesus) is, so also are we in the world."  Not looking to the past, not looking to the future, but present in this world!  He is, and so must we be like Him, embracing the present, engaging in the present, emanating His love!  His love is active, individually focused, calling out the best, establishing purpose and promise, healing, delivering, cleansing, raising!  Perfect obedience to God is simply doing what He is doing, releasing the vibrations of love that find their origin before the creation of the world!

Oh that we would vibrate with His love!  Oh, that we would broadcast His love to all we meet, whether in word or deed, in engagement or even in our look!  

Lord, help me to Love as You love!  Help me to embrace this present reality, that as You are so am I! 

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment