Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, July 12, 2021

Fix Your Eyes

This morning the phrase "fix your eyes" came up in my time before the Lord, and it is a bit uncommon for me to focus on a phrase, rather than a scripture, so I figured it was worth reflecting on.   

In the translation I mostly use, the NIV, there are four scriptures where the two words 'fix' and 'eyes' are used together, and I thought it good to look at them all.  The meaning of the phrase is pretty straight-forward, but sometimes there is a richness to the way it is used.

Here are the four scriptures.

Psalm 141:8 NIV:  "But my eyes are fixed on you, Sovereign Lord; in you I take refuge---do not give me over to death."

Proverbs 4:25-26 NIV:  "Let your eyes look straight ahead; fix your gaze directly before you. [26] Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways."

2 Corinthians 4:18 NIV:  "So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

Hebrews 12:1-2 NIV:  "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, [2] fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."

In each case, the fixing of one's eyes, had also to do with one's mindset and then action.  It seems that this is almost like a first step in making a decision to move forward down a specific path, as noted in the verses from Proverbs. The other specific implication is that this allows one to ignore other distractions, for in fixing our eyes, we ignore other things we could look at.

In order, in Psalm 141 the preceding verses had to do with the threats of evil against the psalmist, in this case David.  He is choosing to look at the Lord, to rest in Him rather than to concern himself about the threats all around him.

In Proverbs, we are encouraged to look straight ahead, to give careful thought to our walk and our ways.  What a great encouragement for really anyone, in any situation.  

In his second letter to the Church in Corinth, Paul is discussing the eternal perspective, and allowing that perspective to override, if you will, the difficult stuff we encounter in our pursuit of God.  There is a reminder that this world is not our final destination and that there is a future and eternal destiny that should guide our steps, our thoughts and our actions.

Finally in the Letter to the Hebrews, I added the verse that preceded the one about fixing our eyes, because it perfectly compliments the encouragement to fix our eyes on Jesus.  We are encouraged to throw off everything that hinders, including sin, pursuing the path that is marked for us to follow.  Using the race analogy, Jesus is the front-runner, and we are all following the path He is taking, and if we can't see him, we can see the path has been marked for us to follow.

All of this is encouraging, and helpful, but this morning the question of why this encouragement for me?  As I was thinking through this, I realized that much of the time I have my eyes fixed on my phone, not that I am looking at anything harmful, but rather I am looking at other things, things that distract me.  Honestly as I look at my free time, often, rather than having any thought of the Lord, I will pull out my phone, check my messages, check a couple of websites for news, and before I know it an hour or two has passed on by.   Time completely wasted, unproductive, and certainly without a goal or focus.  

I feel like the Lord is calling me to a more intentional use of my focus and time, specifically as it relates to things that He has shown me are important.  I know the things that are valuable, the things that will help me grow, the things that will enable me to focus, rather than distract me.  I go back to the Proverb and hear the specific encouragement to fix my eyes, look straight ahead, consider carefully my steps (actions), and to learn to be steadfast in my ways.  In essence, the encouragement is to create a new habit, one that will actually aid me in my pursuit of Him, and the pursuit of those things He encourages me in.  That habit needs to involve putting down my phone and shutting off the distractions, and choosing s different next step.  

Thank You Lord for Your encouragement and direction.  I hear and see in this a Your desire for me to grown and learn and make progress in You and Your purposes for me.  I am encouraged because You don't engage us in frivolous activities and tasks.

Help me to be steadfast in fixing my eyes upon You!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment