Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, July 18, 2021

Taught by God to Love

This morning I was reading through Paul's first letter to the Thessalonians.  It, like all of his writings, is great to read and reflect upon.  There was a line that I am sure i have read before, but this morning it stood out to me, so I will reflect on it.  

1 Thessalonians 4:9 NIV:  "Now about your love for one another we do not need to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love each other."

Isn't that an interesting statement, Paul is confident in the love they have for each other, and He is so because they have been taught by God!  I am sure in this instance Paul is talking about Holy Spirit, being the one who is teaching them to love one another, not that this makes any difference.  It just got me thinking about places and peoples where the love of God is so evident in their love for one another.  

I have a couple of observations: 

1) The Greek word translated love is 'Philadelphia' and it literally means loving brothers or sisters.  This is a familial love, a love that goes deep and is based on common life, common relationships common experiences!  It is not just warm feelings, it encompasses so much more, a commitment, a deep connection, bonds like blood.

2) If it was evident that God taught them, then they had a special charism that was evident, and somewhat different than other churches Paul had visited.  Wouldn't that be a great characteristic to be known for, love for one another that is deeper and more visible than other places?!

3) It was so important that Paul was writing them to encourage them to press in deeper to this gift!  How often do churches think about how to really spur one another on into brotherly love?  How often do churches focus on fellowship?  So often it seems that the focus is right teaching, right doctrine, right living, right worship, but sometimes it seems that right relationships is just something that is left to the people to figure out on their own.  In Acts 2:42, one of the four pillars of the early church is described as fellowship, and yet, so often that is seen as something less than the other pursuits.  I wonder how many churches have a fellowship pastor?

4) Paul adds in the next verse an encouragement to love one another more and more, on top of the great love that already stands out!  This makes me believe that as much as we feel we love one another, there is always more, deeper expressions of love, deeper experiences of being loved!

5) I think that is impossible to actively and visibly love someone that you barely know.  I believe the love Paul is speaking about is evident in deeply connected brothers and sisters in Christ, individuals who are sharing life, connected at a much deeper level than mere acquaintance. They have deep relationships and are willing to be transparent with one another, able to meet one another in the place of need as well as blessing.

Today I am so grateful for the brothers and sisters that we are connected to in the Body of Christ!  I am grateful for the Love we share, and I am encouraged that there is more available!  I am encouraged that God wants to teach us how to love one another more and more!  I am reminded that this love will be one of the ways that others will know that we follow Christ.

Oh God, teach us to love one another more!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment