Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, July 2, 2021

Into God's Love and Jesus' Steadfastness

This morning I am reading Paul's second letter to the church in Thessalonica.  It is a short letter and an interesting read for it shows how quickly the Church was attacked with false teachings and doctrines.  Paul wrote the letter in 51-53AD, or within 20 years of Jesus' death and resurrection.  Many of the eye-witnesses were likely still alive as were most of the Apostles.  Peter's first Gentile converts were brought into the fold around 40AD, and Paul probably didn't have his conversion until 47AD, so whether we look at the 10-13 years of the Gentile churches growth, or the 4-6 years of Paul's ministry, there was already a substantial amount of turmoil in the Church.  

Paul wrote both letters to this church within a short period of time, so it was likely he was corresponding with them and was trying to address the main issues he saw, one of which was false teaching, and people trying to pass letters off as having come from him.  Our present issues of fake news and "experts" everywhere is nothing new.  The goal of the enemy is to bring confusion, to sow deception and cause distraction, and he is about doing the same thing in our day that he was doing even then.

Today my reflection is focused on the beginning to chapter three, for one particular line stood out to me as I was reading, and that is usually a good sign that the Holy Spirit is wanting me to focus on a particular theme.  Here are the verses - 2 Thessalonians 3:1-5 NIV:

[1] "As for other matters, brothers and sisters, pray for us that the message of the Lord may spread rapidly and be honored, just as it was with you. [2] And pray that we may be delivered from wicked and evil people, for not everyone has faith. [3] But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen you and protect you from the evil one. [4] We have confidence in the Lord that you are doing and will continue to do the things we command. [5] May the Lord direct your hearts into God's love and Christ's perseverance."

The line that stood out to me was verse 5, and it just resonated in my spirit.  What a great prayer to pray for ourselves and for others, that the Lord would direct our hearts "into God's love and Christ's perseverance"!  What better place to rest, than in God's love!  His eternal love, that has been expressed for us since before the creation of the world (Eph 1:4)?  His love which is what motivated His plan for salvation  (John 3:16-17) and is richer and deeper and wider than we can possibly understand.  Paul even prayed this very thing for the Ephesians 3:16-19 NIV: 

[16] "I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, [17] so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, [18] may have power, together with all the Lord's holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, [19] and to know this love that surpasses knowledge---that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God."

Going back to his letter to the Thessalonians, Paul is praying this same thing, just a bit more concisely!  Paul also prays that our heart might be directed by the Lord into Christ's perseverance.  The Greek word he used here is hypomone and it is defined by Thayer as:

1) steadfastness, constancy, endurance

    a) in the NT the characteristic of a man who is not swerved from his deliberate purpose and his loyalty to faith and piety by even the greatest trials and sufferings

    b) patiently, and steadfastly

2) a patient, steadfast waiting for

3) a patient enduring, sustaining, perseverance

Looking at Christ Jesus, we see His perseverance and steadfastness in many areas.  He was determined to love, not condemn (John 3:16-17).  He represented the Father perfectly in speech and in action (Heb 1:3).  He refused to allow the enemy/demons to harass and injure or ruin people's lives.  He was steadfast and persevering in His ministry, teaching and healing thousands!  He was resolute in His following the will of the Father, even unto death (Phill 2:8). He was determined to touch the outcasts and lepers, the lowly, the rejected and the sinner.  He was unafraid of the opinions of the Pharisees and teachers of the Law.  I could go on and on, but I see here a healthy understanding of the perseverance and steadfastness of Christ.  He knew who He was, and who He represented and never swayed or swerved.  Oh, that I might live with that passion and sustained pursuit!  

This morning I am encouraged!  I do believe the Lord wants to direct my heart in His love and into Jesus' perseverance and steadfastness!  I believe that He wants to strengthen me, and fill me with knowledge and understanding of His ways, His purposes and His power!  I am encouraged that in spite of the enemies best tricks and attacks the Gospel has been sustained through the power of the Holy Spirit for 1900+ years!  I am encouraged that in the midst of this great, world-changing revelation that God has a very specific call or invitation for me that He has been planning since before the creation of the World, because of His love for me!

Amen and amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment