Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, March 14, 2022

As Gold, Purified!


Yesterday, during our worship, we were singing about offering the Lord everything, our whole selves, and I found myself thinking about the imagery of the sacrifice, and language around it.  We were singing about wanting to burn for God, and we mean the fire of passion and love, but sometimes I think we sing about things that sound great, but don't really think about what they might actually mean, and I found myself pressing into that place of knowing and understanding more.  

The first thing I started thinking about was Abraham and Isaac, and how the Lord asked Abraham to sacrifice Isaac.  However, I quickly realized that in this case we were the ones that were singing about burning, so we would represent Isaac, definitely a bit more of an uncomfortable thought.  I felt like the Lord was asking, "Are we really willing to lay down our lives, to lay down everything to pursue Him?  Are we willing to allow our passion for Him to override our passion for everything else?  Are we willing to love and embrace God, even when it means dying to our hopes, our dreams, our promises, our aspirations, our comfort, our reputation, our opinion?  All very deep questions, and ones that Jesus is very familiar with, as He said yes!

The next place I started thinking about was purification of gold.  I actually didn't know much about the process that is used these days.  In the old days, they heated gold and skimmed off the impurities that float to the top, which is a good picture for us.  As our hearts are moved by passion for God, we will find that other things become less important, and some things we didn't know were in us, will float to the top, and be exposed.  This is how the Lord works in me, at least.  However, when I did a bit more research, I realized there was some imagery that might be helpful.

Here is a brief description of the two most common techniques for gold purification. 

"The two gold refining methods most commonly employed to derive pure gold are: the Miller process and the Wohlwill process. 

The Miller process uses gaseous chlorine to extract impurities when gold is at melting point; impurities separate into a layer on the surface of the molten purified gold. The Miller process is rapid and simple, but it produces gold of only about 99.5 percent purity. 

The Wohlwill process increases purity to about 99.99 percent by electrolysis. In this process, a casting of impure gold is lowered into an electrolyte solution of hydrochloric acid and gold chloride. Under the influence of an electric current, the gold migrates to a negatively charged electrode (cathode), where it is restored to a highly pure metallic state, leaving the impurities as a separate solution or residue." ( https://www.gold.org/about-gold/gold-supply/gold-refining#:~:text=The%20two%20gold%20refining%20methods,of%20the%20molten%20purified%20gold.)

What I thought was interesting was how when heat is applied, they add gas to the gold in the Miller process.  The gas causes the impurities to rapidly collect on the surface for removal.  In other words, the gas causes an acceleration of the purification process.  Does not the presence of the Holy Spirit blowing in our lives cause the same acceleration of purification?  When He is present in a manifest way, things that have been hidden are exposed, sin that has gripped us is broken, and repented of, and thrown away!  I though it was as interesting analogy.

Secondly, when just the presence of the gas doesn't quite bring enough purification, then they add the gold to an acid solution and apply power and the pure gold collects at the point of the electrode, and this finishes the purification process.  In this case, I thought it was an interesting parallel to the environment becomes caustic, when major shifts are happening, major issues or even persecution, that Holy Spirit raises up a person or a rallying cry.  When the Holy Spirit starts moving in power, and people are drawn, often the remaining issues (Impurities) are left behind. 

I was reminded this morning of the Lord speaking in scripture about being lifted up that all people will draw near.  Jesus said the following in John 12:30-32 NIV:

[30] Jesus said, “This voice was for your benefit, not mine. [31] Now is the time for judgment on this world; now the prince of this world will be driven out. [32] And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.”

And again in Paul's letter to Titus 2:11-14 NIV:

[11] "For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. [12] It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, [13] while we wait for the blessed hope---the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, [14] who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good."

This morning I am encouraged that we are entering a time where we will have the opportunity to embrace increased passion for the Lord, and increasing purification.  I am also encouraged that much of the purpose is that we might understand our truth worth to the Lord!  He wants us to see ourselves for who we really are, His bride!  

I am reminded of these verses from Revelation 19:6-8 NIV:

[6] Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude, like the roar of rushing waters and like loud peals of thunder, shouting: “Hallelujah! For our Lord God Almighty reigns. [7] Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready. [8] Fine linen, bright and clean, was given her to wear.” (Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of God's holy people.)

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment