Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, March 21, 2022

How Are Suffering, Judgment and Worth Related?


I started an interesting reflection yesterday on the unusual and unexpected things that have value in God's perspective.  I was reading the following verses from - 1 Peter 4:17-19 NIV:

[17] "For it is time for judgment to begin with God's household; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God? [18] And, “If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?” 

[19] So then, those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good."


Definitely some of the verses we would prefer weren't in the Bible.  I don't want to be judged by God, and I don't want to suffer!  There is so much we don't understand about God's perspective, His plans and His heart.  

While reflecting on this, I was reminded of something I saw Shawn Bolz had posted:  "The one thing about the courtroom of heaven is that nothing is decided by knowledge, facts or information alone. Decisions are measured against the heart of God and what God knows - which is often unseen and unknown, except for those who are looking for it."

I really like this statement because it causes us to look past what we see and know, and stare into the face of God, looking for His heart.  Take these verses from Peter, when we think about these types of verses, we have a hard time getting past our human way of thinking!   We consider judgment and suffering bad, and yet in God's perspective they are tightly woven together, and are given value beyond our comprehension, for they are linked in the passion of Jesus.  

Lord, help us to push past our own thinking, into Yours!  Help us to hear and understand deep things, things that initially are offensive to us, because we view them from our own experience.  Help us to press further into Your realm, Your heavenly perspective!  

As I was reflecting on this I was reminded of two different sets of verses that are prophetic pictures of the Messiah, found in Isaiah 42 and Isaiah 53.  

Isaiah 42:1-4 NIV:

[1] “Here is my servant, whom I uphold,  my chosen one in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on him, and he will bring justice to the nations. 

[2] He will not shout or cry out, or raise his voice in the streets. 

[3] A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out. In faithfulness he will bring forth justice; 

[4] he will not falter or be discouraged till he establishes justice on earth. In his teaching the islands will put their hope.”

and Isaiah 53:1-6 NIV:

[1] "Who has believed our message and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed? 

[2] He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground. 

He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him. 

[3] He was despised and rejected by mankind, a man of suffering, and familiar with pain. 

Like one from whom people hide their faces he was despised, and we held him in low esteem. 

[4] Surely he took up our pain and bore our suffering, yet we considered him punished by God, stricken by him, and afflicted. 

[5] But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; 

the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed. 

[6] We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to our own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all."

In the first set of verses the Messiah is bringing forth true justice, which is right judgment. We are all for that, as we think it will be applied to others.  However in the verses from Peter, we hear that it will be applied to the God's household, which includes His sons and daughters.  We don't like judgment because of the negative connotations, and yet, we want justice which requires judgment!  Is it possible that judgment is good?  What about punishment and suffering?

What I still find unbelievable, but true, is the fact that God took the punishment upon Himself, as Jesus, that was required for justice, as that is what is prophesied by Isaiah.  Jesus perfectly fulfilled this word in His passion and death, and thus achieved true justice on the earth, justice from God's perspective.  

Why did God choose this path?  I have no idea, but the fact that Jesus embraced it makes it valuable beyond understanding.  We find this represented in the visions of John, recorded in the Revelation 5:1-14 NIV:

[1] Then I saw in the right hand of him who sat on the throne a scroll with writing on both sides and sealed with seven seals. [2] And I saw a mighty angel proclaiming in a loud voice, “Who is worthy to break the seals and open the scroll?” [3] But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth could open the scroll or even look inside it. [4] I wept and wept because no one was found who was worthy to open the scroll or look inside. [5] Then one of the elders said to me, “Do not weep! See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed. He is able to open the scroll and its seven seals.” 

[6] Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing at the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. The Lamb had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth. [7] He went and took the scroll from the right hand of him who sat on the throne. [8] And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of God's people. 

[9] And they sang a new song, saying: “You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased for God persons from every tribe and language and people and nation. [10] You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God, and they will reign on the earth.” 

[11] Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. [12] In a loud voice they were saying: “Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!” [13] Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, saying: “To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!” 

[14] The four living creatures said, “Amen,” and the elders fell down and worshiped."

Here we find the themes of suffering, judgment (for the scroll contains judgments) and the value of them all brought together in a courtroom drama, actually I should say a throne room drama!  All of these are directly related to one another, and in God's economy (if I can use that term) they are what makes Jesus alone worthy.  

I certainly don't understand this picture and how God thinks about it, but I know that justice and suffering are seen completely different in God's Throne room!  This brings me back to the verses from Peter, and makes me look at them with a different perspective.  Rather than the focus being on punishment, maybe my focus should be on the worth of what is released, and what is accomplished by right judgment and suffering.  Clearly my salvation was accomplished by both! 

This morning I am encouraged to take a step back and look at what God values and how He thinks!   I am reminded that my thoughts are not His thoughts, and His ways are not my ways, but I can make progress in understanding His thoughts, and work to make myself more inline with His ways.

Clearly this is beyond my ability, but with Holy Spirit's help, it is possible.

Oh Lord, I need Your help!

Amen and Amen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment