Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, March 26, 2022

Righteousness Goes Before Us!


This morning I am reading and reflecting from Mark 11:27-33 NIV:

[27] "They arrived again in Jerusalem, and while Jesus was walking in the temple courts, the chief priests, the teachers of the law and the elders came to him. [28] “By what authority are you doing these things?” they asked. “And who gave you authority to do this?” 

[29] Jesus replied, “I will ask you one question. Answer me, and I will tell you by what authority I am doing these things. [30] John's baptism---was it from heaven, or of human origin? Tell me!” 

[31] They discussed it among themselves and said, “If we say, 'From heaven,' he will ask, 'Then why didn't you believe him?' [32] But if we say, 'Of human origin' ” (They feared the people, for everyone held that John really was a prophet.) [33] So they answered Jesus, “We don't know.” 

Jesus said, “Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things.”

MY first thought in reading these verses, was "Thank You, Holy Spirit!"  The possibility of the Holy Spirit speaking to us, helping us in difficult situations, is what Jesus is demonstrating here!  He knew their intent was to trap Him, by asking a question that could be used a against him, whatever way He answered.  They had not anticipated Jesus completely flipping the table on the them, and having Him use the exact same trap they planned for Him, on themselves, for that is what He clearly did, in this moment.  

I imagine that Holy Spirit was talking to Jesus and preparing Him for this situation prior to their arriving in the temple courts that morning.  I have had a similar experience where I knew that I was going to have a difficult conversation with someone, and asked for guidance and direction from the Holy Spirit, and He guided me to the approach, what to say, how to say it, and it was perfect, and certainly not something I would have thought up on my own.  In this case, a good logical thought process could have provided you a similar approach, but Jesus didn't need to rely on logic, He had Holy Spirit breathing understanding and insight into Him all the time.  There is nothing like knowing what the opponent is thinking, and having your answer prepared before they ask the question.

I am reminded of a time when an enemy was trying to attack Israel, found in 2 Kings 6:8-12 NIV:

[8] Now the king of Aram was at war with Israel. After conferring with his officers, he said, “I will set up my camp in such and such a place.” 

[9] The man of God sent word to the king of Israel: “Beware of passing that place, because the Arameans are going down there.” [10] So the king of Israel checked on the place indicated by the man of God. Time and again Elisha warned the king, so that he was on his guard in such places. 

[11] This enraged the king of Aram. He summoned his officers and demanded of them, “Tell me! Which of us is on the side of the king of Israel?” 

[12] “None of us, my lord the king ,” said one of his officers, “but Elisha, the prophet who is in Israel, tells the king of Israel the very words you speak in your bedroom.” . 

What a fantastic example of the Holy Spirit providing exactly the guidance and direction needed, through Elisha in this case.  The fact is that this type of guidance and direction is available to us, as God's sons and daughters.  We just need to learn to ask and listen and obey what we hear!  

This morning I am encouraged to live my life in expectation of the Lord, giving me guidance and direction, providing supernatural insight and understanding, that I might live proactively, rather than reactively.  I am convinced that He goes, before us and prepares the way!  I am reminded of a couple of verses from Psalm 85:8-13 NIV:

[8] "I will listen to what God the Lord says; he promises peace to his people, his faithful servants---but let them not turn to folly. 

[9] Surely his salvation is near those who fear him, that his glory may dwell in our land. 

[10] Love and faithfulness meet together; righteousness and peace kiss each other. 

[11] Faithfulness springs forth from the earth, and righteousness looks down from heaven. 

[12] The Lord will indeed give what is good, and our land will yield its harvest. 

[13] Righteousness goes before him and prepares the way for his steps."


Amen and Amen!  

No comments:

Post a Comment