Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Listening, Obedience and Relationship

This morning I am reflecting on a couple of sayings of Jesus concerning how well we listen, and how we respond to what we hear.  It is always an interesting reflection to stop and let His words bring revelation, and exposition.  Here are the verses - Matthew 7:21-27 NIV:

[21] “Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. [22] Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?' [23] Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!' 

[24] “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. [25] The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. [26] But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. [27] The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

I actually started reading in Luke this morning, and read a parallel passage to verses 24-27, but as I was reading I was reminded of the way Matthew had captured these teachings, and an insight I had many years ago, so I decided to turn to Matthew's Gospel.  I find as I read scripture, I am often reminded of other passages and the Lord just seems to weave a whole message through the related verses.  I find that this is one of the ways the Lord speaks dynamically into my life, and as such, it is one of my favorite things, even when it stretches me or uncovers areas of needed growth. Anyway, that is what I am expecting today.

If I were to outline the most important bits of the two sections above I would say that it is listening, obedience and action.  In verse 21 Jesus says "only the one who does the will of my Father" and in verse 24, "everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice".  We can't possibly know the Father's will if we aren't discerning, and most of the time that means listening, not just with our physical ears, but with our ears of faith, listening to the still small voice, that inner dialogue we can have with the Holy Spirit.  Jesus lays it out even simpler in verse 2, for we must "hear" and "put" what we hear into practice.  

I was just reminded of all the times my Mom would ask me to do something as a kid, and I would answer, "yes, Mom!" but then not actually get up and do what she asked.  I would hear her, would even respond that I heard, but then keep right on doing what I was doing... and I can say quite definitively, that was not the response she was expecting.  She was patient, but only to a certain point, and then she would do it herself, and that was not a good thing.  

In a much more important way, I believe the Lord is constantly speaking to me, helping me, guiding me, preparing me, helping me to mature.  Sometimes when I look back at my life, it seems like I am still dealing with the same old stuff, as some would say, gong back around the mountain.  This is a clear indication that I haven't learned or grown in this area sufficiently to move on.  It is like I am stuck on a level of video game and can't beat the boss of that level, so I just keep repeating.  The good news is that the Lord is more patient than my mom, and He will continue to bring me back over and over, knowing that this one thing is important for me to learn.  

At other times, I look at my life an see the multitude of ways the Lord has worked, see the fruit of His work in my life, and see how I have actually matured and grown, and I am grateful.  I know that His view of my future is much more informed than my mom's was, she knew I would grow up and mature at some point, but the Lord knows my entire life, and is constantly speaking into my life in the here and now, and He is desirous of me hearing, and now responding.

It is clear from reading scripture that our lives will be difficult at times, even more than we can bear, at others.  Jesus uses the images of rain, streams and winds and they can be both hard and good.  Without rain the crops die, too much rain and they wash away.  Streams deliver moisture to places it doesn't rain, provide fish and all sorts of life, but when they overflow the banks they bring devastation.  Wind blows away old dead leaves, cools and sustains us, provides resistance that allows plants and trees to grow strong, and even provides power when harnessed correctly, yet it can destroy in an instant that which has stood for decades , even centuries.  Many places in the world have rainy seasons, and it is important to be ready for them before they come.  The Lord in using this imagery, is saying that He will prepare us for these seasons, but that we need to listen to Him, and put into practice those things He teaches us.

So my question today, is what season is coming upon me, and what is the Lord saying that I might be prepared?  Recently I had the strong impression that things were changing, and while I don't know exactly what that means, I am alert, and trying to listen.  This might be the start of a new season, the end of an old, or just a change in the weather, which in Kansas City, can happen in a day.  We have learned to listen to the weather people for their best idea of what the weather will be like tomorrow and even next week.  While they seem to be right about 20% of the time, the Lord is always 100% right, of course He has an eternal perspective. 

One other thing, when Jesus uses the imagery of rain, streams and winds, they can also be images of the moves of the Holy Spirit!  Winds of revival, streams of healing, rains of refreshing!  Sometimes these moves of the Spirit create massive change, and we need to be ready for them!  The Holy Spirit came in power on Pentecost and the world has ever been the same, and the Lord had prepared them so that they immediately engaged in what He was doing.

The point of this all, is that He is speaking, and He desires that we listen, because He loves us and wants to help us, prepare us, mature us, and work through us.  First and foremost He is about relationship, and it is in the place of relationship that we hear Him speak.  Going back to verses 22 and 23, I think people were surprised by His requirement of relationship.  It is not enough to do things n His name, even great works, we must be known by Him!  The word used here is the Greek word ginosko  and Strongs gives the following help understanding it - "1097 ginṓskō – properly, to know, especially through personal experience (first-hand acquaintance). 1097 /ginṓskō ("experientially know") is used for example in Lk 1:34, "And Mary [a virgin] said to the angel, 'How will this be since I do not know (1097 /ginṓskō = sexual intimacy) a man."  This is clearly a deep relational, experiential knowing, and as such requires interaction, actual co-shared experience. 

I was just thinking how in my early relationship with my honey, we would occasionally say the same thing at the same time, and we thought it was funny, and a bit enlightening, that we would respond to something in similar ways.  Now, I can almost tell you exactly what she will say, or how she will act, as I KNOW her intimately.  I have 30+ years of experience with her, and definitely have come to know how she thinks, how she responds and what she is important to her.  The Lord wants our relationship with Him to be this intimate, even more so.  In addition to knowing us, He knows what is happening in the world, in our lives, in the lives of our friends and family, and even in the spiritual realm.  He is wanting us to learn to listen to Him, that He might prepare us, guide us, strengthen us, and help us.  Lastly, He has things for us to do, and if we aren't listening and then acting, we will not be able to do them.

So today, I am encouraged to really listen, to spend more time reading, praying and actively listening to the Lord,   I am encouraged that I, at least, am moving into some sort of new season, and that the Lord will prepare me, and help me, and guide me.  He wants me to succeed, to be reactive, and productive, for the sake of His Kingdom and my betterment.  Most importantly, He wants relationship with me, and as such will make Himself available.  This is no, "we should get together sometime!" statement, but rather a real invitation where He is just waiting for me to turn my attention to Him.

Amen, come Lord Jesus!  I welcome You to speak for I am listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment