Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, July 15, 2022

Finish The Race Well


This morning I felt led to read from Paul's first letter to the Church in Corinth. I was just thinking how interesting it is that Paul is writing a pastoral letter to a whole church.  I love that the church had a common identity, and that Paul could address them as one.  I would imagine that his letter was read and re-read many times over, and served as a guide to their formation and growth as a church.  There is something very healthy for a church to be in relationship with Apostolic leadership. 

The verses that I am reflecting on this morning, have some relation to the ones I was reflecting on recently, having to do with overcoming the flesh and the enemy by knowing and holding tight to our identity of being hidden in Christ.  In the verses today, Paul is speaking about his self-discipline.  Here are the verses - 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 NIV:

[24] "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. [25] Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. [26] Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. [27] No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."

The verses that specifically caught my eye was verse 27.  Paul, well into his ministry, is writing about his continued vigilance towards his body, and his application of self-discipline so as not to be disqualified.  When reading this, it is my thought that he is describing a constant vigilance against the temptations of the flesh, making sure that he does not embrace them and so cause damage to either his own walk and faith, or to his legacy in the Gospel as well. 

Mathew Henry writes the following commentary on these verses.  "The apostle compares himself to the racers and combatants in the Isthmian games, well known by the Corinthians. But in the Christian race all may run so as to obtain. There is the greatest encouragement, therefore, to persevere with all our strength, in this course. Those who ran in these games were kept to a spare diet. They used themselves to hardships. They practised the exercises. And those who pursue the interests of their souls, must combat hard with fleshly lusts. The body must not be suffered to rule. The apostle presses this advice on the Corinthians. He sets before himself and them the danger of yielding to fleshly desires, pampering the body, and its lusts and appetites. Holy fear of himself was needed to keep an apostle faithful: how much more is it needful for our preservation! Let us learn from hence humility and caution, and to watch against dangers which surround us while in the body."  Mathew Henry's Concise Commentary.

This is very similar to my thinking this morning.  If Paul, one the greatest Apostles, full of the Holy Spirit, working the ministry day in and day out, had to maintain a constant discipline over his body, or the fleshly desires, how much more do I need to do so?  Clearly, there can be no easing off, no coasting, no thinking I have achieved the end of my temptations, or tamed my desires fully.  

I am reminded of a minister I heard speaking one time on his particular focus in ministry, which was to fallen (into sin) pastors.  He talked about the similarity in many of these individual's stories, how they had many years of successful ministry, had many years of successfully keeping themselves pure, and avoiding sins of the flesh.  In almost every case, they had thought themselves free of temptation and that was when the enemy struck, and when they fell.  It was as if the enemy knew that if he waited long enough, the opportunity to entice them into choosing sin would avail itself.  This minister said it was so common, that much of his ministry to others (who hadn't fallen) was encouragement and ideas on how to maintain their vigilance until the end of their life.  

I found his message encouraging and a great warning, for the men he was helping, who had fallen, were great men of the faith, men who had significant influence in the Body of Christ.  As I read these verses from Paul, I believe this is exactly what he was touching on.  It seems like so much work, and yet for the sake of the Gospel, for the sake of the Church, it is worth it. 

Now to be clear, I don''t believe he is just talking about sexual sin, but rather all of the pursuits of the flesh.  Paul listed many in his letter to the Galatians 5:19-21 NIV:  "The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; [20] idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions [21] and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God."  Each of the acts of the flesh have their own temptations, their own path to destruction and death, and all of them are damaging to our witness and our ministries.  

Personally, I have a genetic disposition to high cholesterol, to the level that is dangerous to my heart and health.  Our cholesterol levels are related to our diet, and specifically the bad cholesterol is raised when we eat significant amounts of carbohydrates (For a good synopsis of our body chemistry I recommend a book called "Protein Power" written by an endocrinologist). Anyway, I have a love for sweets and baked things, and one day in prayer I felt the Lord warn me that the enemy was trying to get me to take myself out early through my eating habits, specifically my indulging in excessive carbs.  I had never thought of that previously, but now in reading Paul's letter this morning I am reminded once again of that warning.  I need to make my body slave to my Holy Spirit empowered will, and I need to maintain my vigilance always.  It is so easy to slide into unhealthy pursuits and appetites, and not think of the path to destruction and death that I am starting down.

This morning I am greatly encouraged to continue to maintain my vigilance over my body, over my appetites, over my heart condition and specifically my thoughts. I am encouraged to run the race to finish well, to never cease in my pursuit of Him, for His glory.  The time for feasting will come, after the race is run!

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment