Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, July 14, 2022

My Freed Man Card


Lately these verses from Paul's letter to the Galatians have been my fuel for reflection.  During much of this letter he is building a case for the Gospel of grace, and combatting the "circumcision party" which was trying to force Jewish law upon Gentile believers, or at least cause division in the Body of Christ. However, in this chapter he shifts his focus a bit and provides some very helpful perspective concerning our efforts to walk in the freedom that Jesus purchased for us.  Here are the verses - Galatians 5:16-26 NIV:

[16] "So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. [17] For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. [18] But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. 

[19] The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; [20] idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions [21] and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. 

[22] But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, [23] gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. [24] Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. [25] Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. [26] Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other."

This morning my reflection is on verse 24 and the idea that our flesh has been crucified.  The English translation "have crucified" comes from the Greek word, stauroo' which literally means to crucify.  The interesting thing is that it verb tense aorist indicative active, which means it happened perfectly in the past and was accomplished by the subject of the sentence, namely those who belong to Christ Jesus.  In other words this has already been accomplished, something completed, something finished.  Our choice to have faith in Christ Jesus is what makes this our past. 

Paul writes about our joining ourselves to Christ in His death (crucifixion) and resurrection in several letters.  He writes in his letter to the Romans 6:5-11 NIV:

[5] "For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his. [6] For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin--- [7] because anyone who has died has been set free from sin. 

[8] Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. [9] For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him. [10] The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God. 

[11] In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus." 

Paul continues that theme, but here encapsulates it in the Gospel of grace through faith, and writes in his letter to the Ephesians 2:4-10 NIV:

[4] "But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, [5] made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions---it is by grace you have been saved. [6] And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, [7] in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. [8] For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith---and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--- [9] not by works, so that no one can boast. [10] For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

In probably the best summary, Paul writes in his letter to the Colossians 3:3 NIV: "For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God."

The key here is that this has already happened!  We have already had our flesh nature crucified with Christ, and our only part in all of this is faith in Him, who says this is true.  God is the one who accomplished this unbelievable fact, establishing us, choosing us, saving us, and inviting us into this new creation of God's handiwork.  Our part is believing and accepting this great gift. Anyone who does this now belongs to Christ Jesus, and is hidden in Him, in God.

What is my point in all of this?

Namely that we can grab hold of this truth and live by it, and force our flesh to bow down, and force the enemy to bow down before this truth, this identity, this reality!  We don't need to battle it out, we can stand up in the face of fleshly temptation and declare our death and resurrection and hiddenness in Christ.  If we can learn to flash our "Flesh Crucified Card" (if you will) at the enemy, and at our flesh, we can depower them in our lives, for in the true reality of God's Kingdom and our life hidden in Christ Jesus, they no longer have power over us. 

One of my favorite authors, Bill Johnson, speaks about how the enemy only has as much power in our life as he can convince us to give to him.  In other words, now that we are hidden in Christ, the enemy has no hold on us, just as he has no hold on Christ Jesus.  However, if he can convince us to give him authority in some area,  we empower him.  It is our agreement with his lies that enables this.  In this case, we are somehow convinced that our flesh still has power over our lives, and in ding so we empower the flesh, and allow the enemy access to  us through our flesh.

For example if a slave ever purchased their freedom, all they had to do was show their receipt, or their declaration of being a "Freed Man" to those that would want to enslave them again.  Better yet was the slave that was given his freedom by his master, again he just needed to flash his,  "Freed Man" card when confronted by those that would enslave him.  In the same way, we have been given a "Flesh Crucified Card" when we come to salvation in Jesus, and it applies to our old self, our flesh.

Learning to walk in this reality, is the key.  This is my reflection of late, because it has been a struggle for me to do lately (like for most of my life). I am working to align my thinking with this truth, learning to take "fleshly" thoughts captive and forcing them to bow down before this truth.  I have a long way to go, but I know this is truth, and in embracing my hiddenness in Christ, and pursuing greater intimacy with Him, learning to walk by the Spirit, I will see the influence of my flesh and the enemy be reduced in my life.  

I like the idea of flashing my "Flesh Crucified Card" almost like producing my drivers license, when confronted by things not of the Lord. In reality, my new ID card, states that I died, (the day I came to saving grace in Christ Jesus) and now live hidden in Him.  My true residence is with Him in heaven, and the donor status is that He gave His life for me.  This is my "Freed Man Card"!

Wow, that will preach!

Lord, help me to live in this reality!  Help me embrace this truth!  Help me to take all other thoughts captive, and help me to live by Your Holy Spirit, embracing my hiddenness and intimacy available through You and in You!

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment