Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, July 24, 2022

Show Mercy and Compassion to One Another


Today during worship, we were singing about 'Preparing the way of the Lord',  and "We Love You Jesus"  and I felt like the Lord gave me some insight that was worth sharing.   Sometimes we sing songs like that and we love the idea, but lack clarity as to how to prepare the way of the Lord, or how to love the Lord more fully, as in what can we do individually to respond to a word like that?  

I just opened my Bible and was in Zechariah (some would call this Bible Bingo, but I am amazed at how often the Lord speaks through His word when I just open it up to any random page), specifically chapter 7. I started reading and was drawn to a verse that Jesus actually quotes.  Here is the verse - Zechariah 7:9 NIV: “This is what the Lord Almighty said: 'Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another."  

When I read that verse, I was immediately aware of the focused context, and reminded of a couple of other verses.  For me the context was simply, learning to love one another, and not judging each other in the Body of Christ. We need to show mercy and compassion first!   True Justice is only available with the Lord's perfect perspective. 

I once had the Lord ask me a question about a very judged topic in the church, He said, "Are you 100% sure that your perspective is correct?"  

I answered, of course I am not 100% sure!  

He replied, "Good, then extend mercy and compassion rather than judgment!"

Today, I felt like He said if you want to prepare the way of the Lord, if you want to Love me more, than you need to learn how to Love the Body of Christ!  So often we extend judgment rather than mercy and compassion!  We don't ever know the whole story, and are so quick to judge pretty much anyone and everyone!

He then reminded me of the following verse from 1 John 4:20 NIV:  "Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen."

I felt like He said, you can replace the word "hates" with "judges" and it is still pretty much true!  How sad that so many in the church have felt judged or been judged, when they should experience love, mercy and compassion!

Finally, he reminded me of the following verses from Paul's letter - 1 Corinthians 12:25-27 NIV:

[25]... "so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. [26] If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it." 

[27] "Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it."

We are all part of the Body of Christ, and we must learn that judgment towards anyone else in the Body causes suffering, and actually affects us all.  Paul says, "so that there should be no division in the Body" we must understand this fact, judgment often cause division, and certainly gets in the way of Unity.  Everyone is an equal member in the Body, and none are dispensable!  Thus we must learn to live with one another, love one another and have mercy and compassion for one another!

The Lord basically said, "You can't fully Love Me, if you don't love the Body!  You can't prepare the way for Me to come, if you remain in judgment of one another!   

If we want to prepare the way of the Lord, then we need to look into our hearts and see where we are extending judgment rather then love, mercy and compassion!  We need to repent (change our mind and our actions) and ask the Lord to help us love one another as He loves them (John 13:34).  When we love one another, we are loving the Lord, for we ARE the Body of Christ!

I felt like I heard the Lord say, "Imagine what it would be like if everyone who walked through those church doors felt unconditional love, mercy and  compassion, and no judgment!

Oh Lord, help us!  

No comments:

Post a Comment