Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, July 31, 2022

From Rebuke to Mountain Top


This morning I started reading in Matthew's Gospel, and when I opened it up I was at Chapter Seventeen, which is the transfiguration.  The chapter starts by noting,  "After six days", so I turned back to see what had happened previously and saw something that hadn't occurred to me previously. Here are the verses from Matthew 16:21-23 NIV:

[21] "From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life. [22] Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. “Never, Lord!” he said. “This shall never happen to you!” 

[23] Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”  

And here are the verses from Matthew 17:1-5 NIV:

[1] "After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. [2] There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light. [3] Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus. 

[4] Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here. If you wish, I will put up three shelters---one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.” 

[5] While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!”

I had not realized, at least in Matthew's Gospel, that Jesus' rebuke of Peter and the Transfiguration were in such close proximity!  As I realized that, I recognized that these verses represent Jesus' leadership and character really well.  He wasn't worried about Peter's mistake or his speaking the lies of the enemy.  Instead, Jesus continued to embrace Peter, and draw him further into His inner circle.  

Jesus trusted Himself, and ultimately trusted Peter, and one could argue that Jesus entrusted His continuing ministry to Peter, after His death and resurrection. Our modern mentality towards church leaders is to rebuke and remove them from leadership when they sin, or make such an obvious mistake!  I know I have seen it happen a couple of times and I know how devastating it can be to the relationships and even faith-walk for the one that is rebuked and removed. 

In reality, Peter was just speaking what all the other Apostles were likely thinking, for Jesus had started talking about his impending death, and they all believed He was the Messiah and that He was going to setup His Kingdom, and they would be His friends, ruling at his side.  Heck, they even were still asking about that immediately before Jesus ascended (see Acts 1: 6).  Jesus, in his rebuke, silences the lie and temptation of the enemy, for He had heard this same line of thinking from satan during his time in the wilderness (see Matt 4:3-10).  He then uses this time as a teaching moment, and points them to the Father's plan.  He also uses the next bit to speak prophetically to the apostles, and encourages them to press in with their whole lives, as follows in Matthew 16:24-27 NIV:

[24] "Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. [25] For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. [26] What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? [27] For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father's glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done."

This statement as fulfilled in the lives of everyone of the Apostles, for all but John gave their life in martyrdom, and they did lose their life for His sake! He directs their gaze away from earthly glory, to the heavenly glory that was awaiting them!  This perspective was key for them as they endured persecutions and death.

Going back to my first observation, I felt the Lord's invitation and touch for those who have messed up in ministry, those that have been rejected or rebuked and removed.  I would say that His invitation is to come back to Him fully, for He has never stopped wanting intimate relationship!  He still considers you a faithful friend!  He still has plans and purpose for you!  He has never lost trust in You!!  HE is confident in His ability to pastor you, to teach you, to correct you and to guide You!  He is the Good Shepherd after all!

I am so encouraged this morning that Jesus deals with all of us this way!  He sees our humanness, our mistakes, our misunderstandings, and He never gives up on us, but rather invites us deeper into relationship with Him!  He loves us and continues to entrust to us His continuing ministry on earth!  Finally, while we might experience some reward here on earth, our eyes must be on His Kingdom, not our own, for we will have plenty of opportunities to lay down our lives for Him. He is worth it all!



Amen and Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment