Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Further Up And Further In!

This morning I am reading from Paul's letter to the Colossians 2:6-7 NIV:

[6] "So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, [7] rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness."

I like the simplicity of these verses - which can be summarized by saying that we need to continue to live our lives a Christians. I don't know about anyone else, but continuing is difficult to do. It is easy to start something new, but I find it difficult to maintain most anything after a couple weeks, sometimes even a couple of days. The ability to continue, to maintain a course is one of the things I pray for regularly.

Continuing to live in Him, rooted and built up, indicates a permanence and growing maturity. We are called to put down roots, to allow the water of life that flows from Him to fill us and cause us to grow. We must draw deep, drinking in His presence, His word, His love. We are encouraged to be built up in Him, as in exercising causing muscles to grow. Actually exercising and eating right, lots of protein, causes muscles to grow. In the same way we need to exercise our faith, becoming strengthened through the exercise and eating (the Word).

Speaking of the natural, I find physical exercise one of the most difficult things to maintain, my body rebels and I always find a good reason not to exercise. I had a teacher who used to say when he felt like exercising he laid down until the feeling went away. It is a humorous saying but all too true. My good intentions can be a easily overcome by distraction or lethargy. In the same way, our desire to exercise spiritually, to be strengthened in our faith can quickly wain with a little distraction, a little lethargy.

One of the few consistent areas of long-term successful "continuing" in my life has been my consistent quiet and prayer time. I had plenty of fits and starts early on, but I decided I needed to spend time every day in God's Word and in prayer. It is only through making an effort, and making time in my schedule that I have been able to maintain or continue. It is also one of my most treasured things - my opportunity to daily meet with the Lord and be instructed by the Holy Spirit. The insight and understanding, as well as guidance and correction are of eternal worth.

Even with my consistent time in the Lord, I still find myself easily sliding in my conviction, or my passionate pursuit of Him. I really must continue every day to be rooted and built up, and strengthened. I have never, nor do I expect to ever achieve a level of relationship where I can stop my efforts at growing and strengthening my faith. I want to live my life more fully in Him every day. I am reminded of a quote from C.S. Lewis's last book in the Chronicles of Narnia titled "The Last Battle". In the book the afterlife with Christ is imaged as a mountain where they are called to "Come further up, come further in!” Although that was the invitation in the afterlife, I believe we all have the same invitation here, to press in and find more and more and more of God. Since the invitation is to relationship, literally to live our lives in Him, that is only possible through time and conversation, the same things that are required for any relationship.

So let us be encouraged to "continue to live our lives in Him", growing in our relationship daily, being rooted and strengthened, maturing and growing. There is always more, so let us pursue Him further up and further in!

No comments:

Post a Comment