Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, September 22, 2014

Unmet Expectations and Doubt

This morning I am reading from Luke 7:18-23 NIV:

[18] "John’s disciples told him about all these things. Calling two of them, [19] he sent them to the Lord to ask, “Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?”

[20] When the men came to Jesus, they said, “John the Baptist sent us to you to ask, ‘Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?’ ”

[21] At that very time Jesus cured many who had diseases, sicknesses and evil spirits, and gave sight to many who were blind. [22] So he replied to the messengers, “Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor. [23] Blessed is anyone who does not stumble on account of me.”

I was just thinking about the fact that John sent his disciples to ask Jesus this question. It seemed to me that Jesus baptism made it quite clear that He was the messiah, at least to John. I am guessing one of two things were happening in John's eyes, either unmet expectations or the lies of the enemy were causing him to doubt.

First, John understood his role as the forerunner for the messiah, but I am guessing the Father didn't tell him exactly how Jesus would act when he appeared. Jesus clearly didn't meet the. expectations of the religious leaders, nor did he appear in a form they recognized. The gospels are full of places where they, the Pharisees, quoted scripture as a proof that Jesus couldn't be the messiah. John grew up listening to these same things and likely was influenced by them, so was expecting one who was more a national leader, more kingly, etc.

Secondly, I think maybe John was looking at his ministry which was waning at this point and probably wondering if he had done the right thing, if his ministry had any merit. It seems he was looking for some validation that he hasn't wasted his life, or missed the will of the Father. I think the same fears and doubt's assail pretty much anyone who is called by God, and they come from the enemy of our souls Satan. He is the father of all lies, the deceiver and the accuser of the brethren. He is constantly at work trying to steal our joy, to cause us to lose hope, and to embrace a spirit of unbelief.

Jesus provided an answer that would have been enough for the John, he answered with his deeds, which were scripturally connected to the Messiah. John had to know the scriptures, especially the book of Isaiah, which is the book that speaks of his mission (Is:40:3-5). Jesus referred to the blind seeing (Is 29:18, Is 35:5) , the lame walking (Is 35:6), the leprous cleansed (Is 35:8, Is 53:3-5), the deaf hearing (Is 28:18, Is 35:5), the dead raised (Is 26:19), and the good news being proclaimed to poor (Is 61:1).

I think we can learn from John here. We want to make sure hat we do not miss what the Lord is doing because of our unmet expectations. Almost every time I know the Lord is going to do something, it is different than what I expected. I find my expectations a very poor measuring stick for the works of the Lord. Secondly, we must not listen to the lies of the enemy, but rather hold firm to the Word of the Lord. His words are perfect, His purpose will be accomplished. His plans for us will be fulfilled, if we wait on Him and turn to Him. He will not let us fail. So let us hold fast too His word, trust fully in Him, expect Him to amaze us and work outside our expectations, and let us rejoice that we are His.

No comments:

Post a Comment