Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, September 10, 2024

As I Have Loved You!


I ended up snoozing yesterday morning, and was not able to spend much time thinking a theme I that had recently come to mind.  On Sunday, I started thinking  about the New Commandment that Jesus gave us, found in John 13:34-35 NIV:  “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. [35] By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

This simple statement, while similar to the the previously quoted, "love you neighbor as yourself" seems to me to be a significant change in how we are supposed to live, and I wanted to spend some time reflecting on this and researching it from that perspective.  

As I noted earlier we are familiar with a similar statement, spoken by Jesus in summarizing the commandments.  We find it quoted in Matthew 22:37-40 NIV:

[37] Jesus replied: “ 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' [38] This is the first and greatest commandment. [39] And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' [40] All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

I have heard this described as a vertical love and a horizontal love.  Loving god who is above, and loving our neighbors who are on our level. One could use the cross with its vertical beam and horizontal beam signifying these two expressions of love.   While challenging, I do think that I could fulfill these two commandments on my own, or at least it seems possible.  

The new commandment, however, calls us to love each other as Jesus loves us, and this is a whole different level of love!  If we were to sketch this commandment out, we must always looks at others as Jesus looks at them, so that we might understand how to love them as He loves them, and that requires us to view others from His vantage point.  In other words, my love for others must always start with our unity with Him, an intimate relationship where we can hear His words and see what He is doing.  While we could think this might think this requires us to ascend to heaven and then look down upon earth to one another, I think that in reality it is more of what Jesus demonstrated, as described by Paul in his letter to the Philippians.  Here are the verses - Philippians 2:1-8 NIV:

[1] "Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, [2] then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. [3] Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, [4] not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others."

[5] "In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: [6] Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; [7] rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. [8] And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death---even death on a cross!"

Verses 3 & 4 are where the rubber really hits the road, in my opinion.  Essentially we are called to servant-hood, valuing others above ourselves, and looking to their interests before our own.... a laying down of our life so that we might love and serve others. Paul continues on and invites us to have the same mindset of Jesus in our relationships with one another!  

I am convinced that this invitation, this new commandment is absolutely impossible to do on our own, or at least it is for me!  I can handle loving god, and loving others as long as they are on my same level, but this call is to humility and serving one another, before our own interests, and that just wars against my inner self, my flesh and personal mindset, if I am being honest.  It is all good to say those lovely words, its a whole other thing to embrace them and try to live them!  

I believe that I am only capable of doing this, if I unite myself to Christ to such an extent that my life becomes His.  I must choose this life, this is not something that He will come and force upon me.  In doing so, I will absolutely be invited to lay down my life, for that is what Jesus did for me. 

Oh Lord, I see how much more this commandment is than it seems on the surface!  Help me to lean into You, to learn from You, to trust in You, to unite myself with You!  I want to be able to walk out my remaining days representing You, having Your mindset, and loving others as You love them, and as You love me.  I know I am not capable of this love without You help, but I know You will help me!  

Thank You Lord for loving me!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment