Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, September 2, 2024

Peace, Be Still!


Yesterday during worship I saw this image of a pool with perfectly still water.  As I reflected on it, I was reminded of two different scriptures.  They came to mind in a specific order, and I think that was for a reason.  THe first scripture was Jesus sleeping during the storm found in Luke 8:22-25 NIV:

[22] "One day Jesus said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side of the lake.” So they got into a boat and set out. [23] As they sailed, he fell asleep. A squall came down on the lake, so that the boat was being swamped, and they were in great danger. 

[24] The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Master, Master, we're going to drown!” 

He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm. [25] “Where is your faith?” he asked his disciples. 

In fear and amazement they asked one another, “Who is this? He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey him.”

The understanding I had when I remembered this scripture was that Jesus was able to sleep in the storm because inside of Him, He had perfect peace, and His soul was like that perfectly still water.  When He stood up, his command stilled storm, and He essentially extended the peace that was in Him to the surrounding sea!  

I felt that the Lord wanted to extend His peace to us, especially those of us who find themselves in personal storms, or whatever kind.  Jesus had perfect peace in the midst of raging societal, cultural, relational, political, and even natural storms.  He was unstirred by all that was occurring around Him, instead He kept His eyes on the Father, knowing full well that the Father was firmly in control of everything, and absolutely faithful.

A bit later, I was reminded of Psalm 23 and the beautiful imagery that David provides.  Psalm 23:1-6 NASB:

[1] "The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want. 

[2] He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. 

[3] He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake. 

[4] Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. 

[5] You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. 

[6] Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever."

There have been many reflections and commentaries on this beautiful Psalm so I won't try to expand on these verses.  The one verse that caught my mind and heart was verse 2, "He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters."   The original word that was translated quiet is the Hebrew word mnuchach which Strongs  provides the following word helps: 

comfortable, ease, quiet, resting place, still

Or mnuchah {men-oo-khaw'}; feminine of Manowach; 

repose or (adverbially) peacefully; 

figuratively, consolation (specifically, matrimony); 

hence (concretely) an abode -- comfortable, ease, quiet, rest(-ing place), still.

This word clearly has broader connotations than just water without waves.  I believe that the Lord is inviting us into His peace!  He desires to restore the peace in our souls, the peace in our lives, the peace in our marriages.  I believe that His invitation is to look at Him, to see that He is perfectly at peace, and that same peace is available to us.

My encouragement today is to allow the Lord to minister His peace over me.  I believe He is speaking the command, "Peace, be still!"  over our lives and over our situations! 

My prayer is that our hearts, souls and minds would come to a place a perfect peace, only available in Him!

Oh Lord, extend the peace that is in You!

Amen and Amen!  Peace be with You!


No comments:

Post a Comment