Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, September 30, 2024

Choosing to Lay Down Our Crowns


Yesterday morning I had a bit of a interesting experience walking into our church.  Earlier in the morning while praying the Lord had directed me to Matthew, chapter five and while reading it, I felt the following verses were applicable - Matthew 5:43-48 NIV:

[43] “You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' [44] But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, [45] that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. [46] If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? [47] And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? [48] Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

I love these verses as I believe they help us gain God's perspective on how we should act towards all, whether friend or enemy.  God calls us to step past our view of the world to see it as He does.  He considers us all to be His children, and is pouring blessing upon us all.  

As I was reading and reflecting on these words, I saw how they applied to every distinction and label we would affix to anyone.  Jesu could have listed nations, people groups, genders, etc. and it would be the same message, that God loves us all and blesses us all, whether we know Him or not, whether we are righteous or not. Yesterday morning, I was reminded of the increasing polarity between our two main political parties the Democrats and Republicans, and understood these verses to be applicable to those labels as well.

Recently I have been reading a book that speaks about loving the world as God loves the world, and not seeing the non-Christian people as evil or our enemy. I don't believe I have ever taken that extreme stance, and have loved the simplicity of John 3:16-17, that speaks of God's motivation of love, first and foremost. My regular prayer is that all those who don't know God would come to experience His love and the salvation available in Him. 

One of the things I am very aware is the increasing polarity we find in America.  It seems like its specifically stirred up during election years.  We are seeing plenty of inflammatory language and rhetoric, accusations abound and we are being told the candidates are lying to us, that you can't trust them, etc.  As the level of attack becomes more severe the closer we get to the election, we are in danger of believing all this and choosing sides, believing that members of the other party, regardless of where we stand, are our enemies.

So back to my experience walking into church, I was praying for our city, the people of our church, especially for the division that is occurring between political groups.  As I walked in I saw a ton of people wearing red (It is common on the days that the KC Chiefs play for people to wear red) and I thought how interesting it is that we, as a city, can lay down our labels and division under a KC Chief's banner!  I started thinking about how, in the Chief's stadium, there is no concern for political party affiliation, that is all laid aside for the day, and we choose to see one another as fellow fans!  We lay down our other labels, whether, race, gender, political party, religion and we choose to unite.

I was reminded of the picture of heavenly worship presented to us in Revelation 4:2-4,9-11 NIV:

[2] "At once I was in the Spirit, and there before me was a throne in heaven with someone sitting on it. [3] And the one who sat there had the appearance of jasper and ruby. A rainbow that shone like an emerald encircled the throne. [4] Surrounding the throne were twenty-four other thrones, and seated on them were twenty-four elders. They were dressed in white and had crowns of gold on their heads. 

[9] Whenever the living creatures give glory, honor and thanks to him who sits on the throne and who lives for ever and ever, [10] the twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne and worship him who lives for ever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne and say: [11] “You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.”

This laying down of crowns is representative of choosing to lay down one's affiliation, one's realm of authority, and coming under the throne and rule of God.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if we all could choose to lay down all our labels, all our judgments, all our opinions to come under the banner of God's love?  We have allowed ourselves to be divided in so many ways, by gender, religion, denomination, congregations, neighborhood, political party, and hundreds of different more granular alignments.  We think our way is the right way, and hold fiercely to our beliefs, our opinions, so much so that we are willing to begin to think of anyone of differing opinion as our enemy! 

Going back to the experience I had when walking into church, in my minds eye,  I saw people in our church being called forward to align by political party, Democrat, Republican and those in between.  I saw the invitation given to purposely choose to lay down our political affiliation and choosing to cross over and hug and welcome those of a differing affiliation.  I saw the healing that simple geasture would bring, and I also saw how difficult it could be, but if we take God's perspective, there would be grace to do so.

I understood that all of these things that divide us are the result of choices we make, and we can choose differently!  I can choose to lay down my crown and welcome all I meet as God would welcome them!  I can chose to treat all with respect and love, representing the Father in loving and accepting them!  I can press forward to love the way He does, and to embrace the invitation Jesus gives us to 'be perfect as our Father in heaven'.  

Me encouragement this morning is to choose to lay down my crowns, my judgments, my opinions, my labels that I might see others as the Lord sees them. I must learn to look past the all of those to see in each one I meet the worth and value they have as a daughter or son of God!  I must choose to do so, for I know my natural proclivity is to instantly judge and label!

Lord help me to love as You love me!

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment