Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, September 20, 2024

The Long Wait


The other night I had an interesting dream where I was present during Jesus' birth and time growing as a boy.  It was an interesting type of dream as I wasn't really back in those days, but more of an observer out of time, however I could interact with the people, and I was primarily interacting with Mary, the mother of Jesus.  Specifically, the topic of our conversation had to do with the long wait for Jesus to be revealed to the world as the Messiah. 

It was a very thought provoking dream and I wanted to spend some time reflecting on this theme, and how it relates to our own faith and belief that God is going to fulfill certain promises in our lives. I will start with Mary's interaction with Gabriel as recounted by Luke 1:26-38 NIV:

[26] "In the sixth month of Elizabeth's pregnancy, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, [27] to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin's name was Mary. [28] The angel went to her and said, “Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.” 

[29] Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. 

[30] But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. [31] You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. [32] He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, [33] and he will reign over Jacob's descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.” 

[34] “How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?” 

[35] The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God. [36] Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be unable to conceive is in her sixth month. [37] For no word from God will ever fail.” 

[38] “I am the Lord's servant,” Mary answered. “May your word to me be fulfilled.” Then the angel left her."

The first thing that comes to my mind when reading this, is whether Mary understood that Jesus was going to be the Messiah?  The angle doesn't use that exact word, but I think we can make the assumption she understood.  Her son was going to be the "Son of God" and He was going to sit on David's throne and His kingdom would have no end!  These are clearly messianic terms and expectations.  

Imagine how she dealt with this event going forward.  There are some commentaries that have imagined what must have happened between her and Joseph, her and her parents, etc.  Without writing a quoting massive amounts, I think it is safe to say she likely dealt with the ramifications of this reality in private.  I mean who could you share such a word with and have them believe you, or understand the absolute, mind-blowing claim she was making?  

Thankfully she found in her kinswoman Elizabeth someone who had also experienced a miracle and angelic activity!  I can jsut imagine Mary's releif in knowing that Elizabeth believed her and even confirmed what she knew to be true!  

When I think back to events where I have experienced the Lord powerfully, they become something that I go back to regularly, as reminders of His love and personal knowledge of me, and my situation. Mary, while she had the memory of the words of Gabriel, also had the very real child growing inside of her as a present reminder.  One of the things I asked Mary in my dream, was what it was like every time she looked at Jesus as He grew up?  Was she constantly reminded of His miraculous birth and the promise of God?

Continuing on with the scriptural background, I want to look at Jesus birth, and the following interactions Mary had with the shepherds, again recounted in Luke 2:8-19 NIV:

[8] "And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. [9] An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. [10] But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. [11] Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. [12] This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.” 

[13] Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, [14] “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.” 

[15] When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let's go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.” 

[16] So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger. [17] When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, [18] and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. [19] But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart."

Verse 19 is really the whole theme of my dream, the pondering and treasuring of these things by Mary, in her heart.  Other than the coming baptism of Jesus and the prophetic words spoken by Anna and Simeon, and Jesus' visit to the temple when he was about 12, we know very little of the life of Jesus, Mary and Joseph.  We can make some assumptions about their life, based on the response to the people of their home town of Nazareth when Jesus starts to minister there... they are amazed and wondered where He got all this wisdom?   We find this recounted by Matthew 13:54-56 NIV:

[54] "Coming to his hometown, he began teaching the people in their synagogue, and they were amazed. “Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?” they asked. [55] “Isn't this the carpenter's son? Isn't his mother's name Mary, and aren't his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas? [56] Aren't all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?”

In other words, they knew Jesus, and his family and they were normal, not unusual, accepted as part of the community.  No one was expecting Jesus to have miraculous power or wisdom from the Father, except Mary, and she clearly hadn't told anyone!  

I know I am pushing past the words here, but I am trying to understand the internal belief in the promise of God that Mary must have clung to, and held onto for 30+ years.  She pondered and treasured these things in her heart, but she must not have said anything to those around her.  I am sure Jesus became aware of His purpose and the Father's plan for Him at some point in His life, most likely before He was 12, but again, others around Him were not aware.  

In my dream,  I asked Mary what it was like watching Jesus grow up (He was still a young boy in the background of the dream), knowing who He was, but keeping that promise hidden in her heart?  She didn't really respond with words, but she looked at me with eyes that showed the pain and long suffering of the life-time of waiting.  I woke up shortly after that interaction, and have been thinking about it since.

I can't even fathom what she went through, watching her son for 30 years, wondering when He was going to be revealed to the world!  I can't imagine the countless times she must have gone back in her mind to the visit of Gabriel, or the shepherds, or the words of Ann or Simeon, to help her hold onto the promise, believing the word of the Lord, watching Jesus' apparently normal growth and development.  I know I am skipping over  a few other times where the Angel of the Lord visited and provided guidance and direction,  which would have been helpful indications God's word and promise were still in play, but those were relatively early in Jesus life.  From the time Jesus was 12 until he reaches 30 years of age, we know basically nothing or their lives, but based on the verses from Matthew above, it seems like they were very normal.  

I wonder how many times Mary reminded Jesus who He was, whispering it in His ear?

I wonder how she felt when her husband Joseph died, for he was clearly one who understood what she was carrying in her heart?

I wonder how many times she questioned if God's promise was actually real, if He was going to fulfill His whole word?

I wonder if much of the reason she hid all this in her heart, was due to King Herod trying to kill Jesus when He was an infant?  

I wonder if Mary had any other confirmations in her daily life that she was on the right path, and Jesus was where he needed to be?

I wonder how many times Mary had imagined her life, following Gabriel's visitation, being very different than it was?

I could go on and on, but the thing that I understood from the dream, is that there is grace for those who have been waiting a lifetime to see God's plan and purpose come to  fruition!  I understood that anything I am carrying in my heart pales in comparison to what Mary carried!  God's word is true, His promises are real, and He is capable and will fulfill them!  No matter how long its been, how normal our life seems, God will sustain us, and keep us to until the day of fulfillment.  I am convinced that He is Always Good, even when we don't understand or fully see!

I am encouraged that we can take Mary as a great example of one who believed, and kept on believing, kept on holding onto the words that had been spoken, and the promises given!  I am encouraged that in her quiet pondering and treasuring, she was to be found exactly where she was supposed to be.  She knew this promise of God, while physically present in her household, was beyond her ability to make happen.  She knew God was capable and after great things!  I am encouraged that Mary is a fantastic model for being a humble servant of God who never loses sight of the bigger promise! 

Oh Lord, help us today to learn to trust You, trust in your ability to fulfill Your word, Your Promises, and Your purpose for us, and for all our family!  Whether its been one year or 30+ years, God's word, promises and capabilities have not changed!  He is with us in the long wait!

Amen and amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment