Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, April 5, 2012

They Were All Scattered

I am reading the different accounts of the last supper today. As I was reading both Matthew and Mark's accounts, I was reminded of the fact that all the disciples fell away from Jesus at this most critical time. As Jesus says in Mark 14:

(NIV)Mark 14:27
“You will all fall away,” Jesus told them, “for it is written: “ ‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered.’

I am not exactly encouraged by this verse, but I see the reality of the fact that they had followed Jesus, some for three years, and seen all the miracles that He performed and been witnesses to His kingdom, and yet they all deserted Him. They were more worried about themselves than they were about Jesus, when it really came down to it. I see myself here...so often I willingly desert Jesus because some thing comes against me, or draws me away.

Another thing that is interesting is that after Jesus announces that one of the 12 would betray Him, in Matthew, Mark and Luke, it says the apostles started to question among themselves, and even ask Jesus, which of them would do this. Rather than strong denial, they question. I think this might be indicative of the fact that many, in their own hearts, still wondered if they were doing the right thing, if Jesus truly was the Messiah. He certainly wasn't doing all the things they thought He would - like claim the throne, etc. Their hearts apparently weren't fully given to Him.

I also think of the time in the garden when Jesus asked them to keep watch and pray, yet they all succumbed to their tiredness, their flesh overcoming their desire to obey Jesus. How often am I unwilling to overcome my own flesh (tiredness, hunger, laziness, etc. to obey Him?

Lord, clearly our wills, or hearts and our flesh are not strong enough to follow You on our own. We need help Lord.

I am reminded of when Jesus breathed on the disciples after He rose from the dead. It seems to me that they needed to be encouraged and strengthened at that point.

(NIV)John 20:21-23
Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” [22] And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. [23] If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven."

Lord, its clear to me that I need more strength, I ask that You would breathe on me. Holy Spirit I invite you into my being, that You might indwell me like never before. I ask You to fill me with power, and all the fruit - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control (Galatians 5:22-23) That I might fully follow You and set my heart fully on You!

No comments:

Post a Comment