Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Jesus' Sorrow in the Garden

Continuing my study of Jesus last day(s) continues with His time in the garden:


(NIV)Mark 14:33-34
He took Peter, James and John along with him, and he began to be deeply distressed and troubled. [34] “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death,” he said to them. “Stay here and keep watch.”


Jesus statement that His soul was overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death is really revealing of the level of His understanding of what He was about to undergo. To this point, He had not experienced anything that would cause Him to be sorrowful, so this surely had to do with His impending suffering and death. This could also be the start of the loading onto Him of the sins of the world, for he clearly bore them all - Isaiah 53:12.


I also think this was related to His embracing the physical suffering He would have to endure. He knew what was coming, Isaiah prophesied about it, and I am sure the Father told Him as well. He was fully man, having emptied himself, and now was embracing suffering as a man. He couldn't just make the pain go away, or heal himself, for it was the Father's and His will that He suffer and die, as the sacrifice. This is chosen, and embraced, but not without realization of what price He would pay, and it was overwhelming.


(NIV)Luke 22:42
Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.






I am sure that the spiritual pain He had was far worse than the physical. He who was one with the Father, is now separated from the Father because of the sin (our sin) that He took upon himself. That constant loving communication, severed because of our sin. Additionally, I imagine that like any parent, who's child is suffering, would willing take that suffering upon themselves, Jesus not only feels this way, but does this for all men and women! What an incredible self sacrifice.


(NIV)Luke 22:44
And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.


We know that there is a medical condition called Hematidrosis where under extreme duress a person can literally sweat blood. Jesus is brought to that point in the garden, before He suffered any of the physical torture He was about to endure. As painful and terrible as the scourging and Crucifixion were, this pain of His soul was worse.


Lord, we can only slightly understand what You were enduring for our sake. We are so grateful for Your sacrifice on our behalf, for we know that it is through this sacrifice that you paid the price for our sin, and redeemed us!

No comments:

Post a Comment